Posted by Physics on Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 10:11pm.
Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with each other
A force F is applied to block 1 (m1)
Draw a free body diagram for each block
ok for the diagram is the force F applied horizontal to mass one does this force act on m2
all the blocks are lines up m1 touches m2 touches m3
the force is applied to m1
how does the force m1 apply to m2 ???
- Physics - Physics, Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 10:13pm
I'm also kind of lost on how to draw the free body diagram of the first block
the force F points to the right right? what points to the left
<-----| m1 |------> F
what points to the left I know the rest for m1 i think If i drew force F corectly on block m1
and how does the force F apply to the second block and the third?
- Physics - MathMate, Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 12:01am
Assuming that the three blocks of masses m1, m2 and m3 are in contact with each other, and the force applied is in the direction of the blocks, i.e. the blocks will remain in compression the moment after the application of the force.
Total mass = m1+m2+m3 = M
Force applied = F
Acceleration of each block immediately after F was applied
a = F/M = F/(m1+m2+m3)
By isolating each block, noting that actions and reactions are equal between two blocks, also net force on each block is Fi = mi.a
All forces should be isolated and expressed in terms of F, m1, m2, m3.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with ...
- Physics - Ok I got a question I asked before except there are other parts that I...
- physics - Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with ...
- Physics - I got two questions Three blocks on a fricitonless horizontal surface ...
- Physics - Ok I guess the reason why I do not know how to do this problem is ...
- physics - A force of 8.7 N is applied to a steel block initally at rest on a ...
- Phys - Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with ...
- mechanics - Q2. A block of massmrests on the left edge of a block of larger ...
- physics - Pleaseee help explain how to draw the free body diagrams for this ...
- Physics - Hello. I'm having difficulty with this question In the diagram, the ...