Posted by John on Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:10am.
1. There are starfish, jellyfish, sea anemones, sea horses, sea urchins, etc in the ocean.
2. There are starfishes, jellyfishes, sea anemones, sea horses, sea urchins, etc in the ocean.
(Which expression is correct?)
English - bobpursley, Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:15am
Common usage for the plural of fish, starfish, and jellyfish is the same: fish, starfish, and jellyfish.
So 1) is correct. I remember in the King James version of the Bible, fishes was plural, but no longer.
English - GuruBlue, Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:19am
etc. is an abbreviation and has a period following.
English - PsyDAG, Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:23am
Since "etc." is an abbreviation for the Latin, "et cetera," it is typically followed by a period.
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
English - Writeacher, Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 10:37am
In addition to adding a period after "etc." you also need to add a comma since you are ending a series.
"...sea urchins, etc., in the ocean."
in Section 3:
"The abbreviations etc. and jr. are always preceded by a comma, and except at the end of a sentence, followed by one."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- check geo - russian coasts lie along the pacific and artic oceans, as well as ...
- science - I have a question on homework. please help Sea otters are part of a ...
- check thanks alot - the danubeflows from germany to the : A) atlantic ocean B)...
- Statistics - The weight of adult green sea urchins are normally distributed with...
- Science - Which evidence from the sea floor shows that tectonic plates move? a) ...
- geography - My child needs to name three seas that surround the Philippines. He ...
- geography - is the answer sea of Marmara,Aegean Sea, Meditteranean Sea, Red sea...
- science - Which evidence from the sea floor shows that tectonic plates move? A) ...
- English - What can we do to save seashores and the sea? People polluted the ...
- science - Which one is the smallest animal in the sea? Is a sea horse the ...