Posted by Lena on Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 7:46pm.
U have to show the partial charges and bond dipoles on my ;lewis structure of CH3Cl
For the partial charges would I just have a negetive sign as the superscript of Cl and a positive sign and the superscript of C ?
What exactly must I do to show bond dipoles?
I didn't know that such things were included on a lewis structure.
chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 7:55pm
Often they are not included. If you can envision CH3Cl as something like this:
H3C--Cl, then place a small Greek letter, delta (small, not a capital delta which is a triangle) together with a - sign. Then on the H3C end place a delta + sign.
chem - Lena, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 8:04pm
what does the delta mean?
chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 8:36pm
It means a partial negative charge or a partial positive charge. Placing a - sign or a + sign (with no small delta in front of either) means you are assigning a full -1 charge (or a -2 or -3 or any other number yu place there) to that atom or end of the molecule. The partial means part of a negative or positive charge but doesn't designate the quantity; thus, the quantity for a partial + or - charge can be anywhere from just over 0 up to but just under -1 (or +1).
chem - Lena, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 8:41pm
Thank you :)
chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 9:15pm
Scroll down to the delta (you will see the cap and the small letter).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Please Explain! I don't understand how the answer is B. Which ...
- Chemistry - identify the functional group and indicate polar bonds by assigning ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - identify the functional group and indicate polar bonds...
- physics - Two tiny spheres have the same mass and carry charges of the same ...
- Chemistry - An element with the symbol Z has the electron configuration 2.8.6. ...
- physics - Four charges with equal magnitudes of 6.50 x 10-15 C are placed at the...
- chemistry(check my answer) - how do resonance structure related to its real ...
- HELP!! Chemistry - Draw a Lewis structure for SO(subscript 2) in which all atoms...
- Chemistry - Identify the true statement about Lewis structures. Select all the ...
- Chem - superscript:226 element:Z subscript:29 Whats does the subscript and ...