Posted by Angie on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 7:43pm.
Solve the equation. Check all proposed solutions. Show work in solving and in checking.
Root3-x = x-1
- Algebra - Marth, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 7:48pm
sqrt(3-x) = x-1.
Start by squaring both sides.
3 - x = x^2 - 2x + 1
0 = x^2 - x - 2
Factor the equation:
0 = (x-2)(x+1)
So x = 2 or x = 1
- Algebra - annaiiz ceballos, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 7:51pm
you made a mistake it is x=2 or x=1 its x=2 or x=-1
- Algebra - Angie, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 7:54pm
I am still confused. Can someone please explain further and break this problem down cause I have 5 more like this one to do. Thank you!
- But......Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 8:10pm
from Marth's last line
So x = 2 or x = 1 ...
that should have said
So x = 2 or x = -1
Since he squared both sides, all answers must be verified.
LS = √(3-2) = √1 = 1
RS = 2-1 = 1 OK
if x = -1
LS = √(3+1) = √4 = 2
RS = -1 - 1 = -2
so LS is not equal to RS
so the only solution is x = 2
- Algebra - Angie, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 8:17pm
2 or 1 or
2 or -1?
annaiiz ceballos said
it is x=2 or x=1 its x=2 or x=-1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Solve the equation. Check all proposed solutions. Show work in solving...
- algebra - Solve and check all proposed solutions. Show work for solving and for ...
- Math - Solve the equation: 4/3-x + 1/x+9 = 5/3-x Check all proposed solutions. ...
- Algebra Help - Please solve and check all proposed solutions. Show work for ...
- Algebra - I have some problems that I am having trouble with and I have some ...
- Algebra - Can someone please show me the steps to this problem? I get 0,1 as ...
- Algebra - I need help solving an equation Solve the following equation for a. ...
- Algebra I - Write an equation based on the given facts and find the solution. ...
- Algebra 2 - solve each equation. check for extraneous solutions. sqrt(2x+1)+sqrt...
- college algebra - Solve the exponential equation. Express your solutions in ...