Posted by Laurie on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:28pm.
Consider the quadratic function
f(x) = – x^2 + 10x – 26. Determine whether there is a maximum or
minimum value and find that value.
- Algebra - Marth, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:34pm
This is algebra?
If you have not learned differentiation, perhaps your teacher wants you to use a calculator to find the extrema. (If you have, disregard this paragraph).
Take the derivative of f(x):
f'(x)= -2x + 10
Set f'(x) = 0
-2x + 10 = 0
10 = 2x
x = 5
Now use a sign line to find whether x=5 is a minimum or maximum.
f'(0) = +
f'(10) = -
x=5 is a maximum because f'(x) changes signs from + to -
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:42pm
complete the square,
f(x) = – x^2 + 10x – 26
= - [x^2 - 10x + 25 - 25] - 26
= -(x-5)^2 + 25 - 26
= -(x-5)^2 - 1
so the vertex is (5,-1) and since the parabola opens downwards, it will be a maximum point and the maximum value of the function is -1
- Algebra - Laurie, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:46pm
I do not think these answers are right. I get somethin else and 5 is not an option. Here are the choices
A. Minimum is 25
B. Minimum is -51
C. Maximum is -1
D. Maximum us -51
- Algebra - Marth, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:58pm
5 is the value at which the maximum occurs. f(5) = -1, so choice C.
- Algebra - Laurie, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 5:59pm
I was thinking that as well! Thanks!
- Algebra - Reiny, Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 6:20pm
that is exactly the answer I gave you, read my last line of my reply please
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra- Maximum and minimum. - I dont understand how to find the maximum and ...
- ALGEBRA - Determine whether the quadratic function has a minimum or maximum ...
- math - Determine whether the given quadratic function has a minimum value or ...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function: a. Find the y-...
- Maximum and Minimum - Its been awhile since I have done compleating the square, ...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function. a. Find the y-...
- algebra - given the following quadratic equation, determine if it has a maximum ...
- algebra - 1)Identify the y-intercept and the axis of symemetry for the graph of ...
- algebra(reiny) - Hey thanks for all your help but you kinda confused me on a few...
- math - Determine whether this function has a mzximum or minimum value and then ...