Posted by Lena on Monday, July 6, 2009 at 6:56pm.
As a part of a study to see whther just the chloride ion on NaCl accelerates the rusting of iron, a student decided to see whtjer iron rusted in a solution on Na2SO4. The solution was made by dissolving 4.550 g of Na2SO4 in water using 125.0 mL volumetric flask to adjust the final volume. What is the molarity of the solution?
I don't understand this question at all. What do you do with the iron :S
Chem - DrBob222, Monday, July 6, 2009 at 7:36pm
Actually, the question isn't stated very well but what they mean is that 4.550 g Na2SO4 are dissolved in a total volume of 125 mL. They want you to calculate the molarity. To do this, just remember the definition of molarity. It is the number of moles per liter of solution.
So you use 4.550 g Na2SO4, calculate the moles in that mass, then moles/L (the L is 0.125 ) gives the molarity.
Chem - Lena, Monday, July 6, 2009 at 7:41pm
mass = 4.550 g
molar mass = 142.05 g/mol
n= 0.032030975 mol
c= 0.032030975/0.125 = 0.256 mol/L
would I have 3 or 4 sig. digs? cause when I converted 125.0mL into 0.125 L I lost a sig dig;or should it be 0.1250 L?
Chem - DrBob222, Monday, July 6, 2009 at 7:56pm
You have 4 s.f. in 4.550.
There are 6 s.f. in 142.043 which I used instead of 142.05).
There are 4 s.f. in 125.0 mL (or 0.1250).
Therefore, you are allowed 4 s.f. (from the lowest which is 0.1250 or 4.550) so the answer is 0.25626 moles/L which rounds to 0.2563 M to 4 s.f. [I take issue, somewhat, that you lose one place when converting 125.0 to 0.1250. I see 4 s.f. in both 125.0 as well as in 0.1250.]
Chem - Lena, Monday, July 6, 2009 at 8:06pm
Thank you so much :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - The rusting of iron is represented by the equation 4Fe + 3O2 2Fe2O3...
- Chemistry - A student determines the iron (II) content of a solution by first ...
- chem - How many electrons are transferred in the reaction of hydrogen peroxide ...
- Chemistry e - The rusting of iron is represented by the equation 4Fe +3O2 -->...
- Chem 1010 - Determine the molarity of a solution made by dissolving 13.8 g of ...
- chemistry - write the formula for and indicate the charge on each of the ...
- Chemistry - Suppose you want a mixture that contains 2.5 grams of iron ion and ...
- chemistry - in an experiment, a 4.000grams sample of aluminum metal is added to ...
- chemistry(rusting) - Why metal(eg. iron)placed at aqueous solution will be more ...
- chem - In the reaction of hydrogen peroxide with iron (II) ion in acidic ...