Posted by Mike on .
a. Identify each statement as an observation, hypothesis, or prediction.
b. Are the groups of statements below examples of an inductive or deductive process.
1. Male red -winged blackbirds display red wing patches to signal superior to other males. Answer: Hypothesis/deductive
2. Bees make honey. Answer: Observation/inductive
3. Male red-winged blackbirds compete for territories. Answer: Observation/inductive
4. Bees eat honey when no other food (nectar) is available. Answer: Prediction/deductive
5. A wound is infected. Answer: Observation/inductive
6. Infection is caused by bacteria. Answer: Hypothesis/deductive
7. A male red-winged blackbird displays his red wing patches whenever other males enter its territory. Answer: Hypothesis/deductive
8. Honey is the food store for the bee hive. Answer: Observation/inductive
9. Keeping a wound clean of bacteria prevents infection. Answer: Prediction/deductive
* please let me no if the answers to these questions are correct. I already went to the link that Ms Sue posted but i'm still unsure of my answers.*
Just in case you didn't receive a link to inductive vs deductive processes:
This is indeed a difficult assignment! Have you looked at the definitions for each of the 5 terms, especially looking for synonyms?
To me, inductive reasoning is only probable (#2) while deductive is a guarantee.