Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 10:06pm.
Read the following
story about the TV weatherperson and identify
as many places as possible that the weatherperson could
use addition or subtraction of integers to answer her
questions. Write and solve the number sentences she
Ms. Cloudcover, the TV weatherperson, noted that Sunday’s
temperature was 12 much warmer than the -7 on Friday
and the -2 on Saturday. She remembered that Thursday’s
temperature was 0 and checked to see how far Saturday’s temperature
had fallen from Thursday’s temperature. She made a
note to report the average temperature for the 3-day weekend
and the temperature change from Friday to Saturday and from
Saturday to Sunday. Then she began work on a report about
how the high temperatures for each day of the past week had
been over or under the normal high temperature for that day.
She wrote, Sun:-8 Mon:-5 Tues:-2 Wed:6 Thurs:3
Fri: -4 Sat: 9 She wondered whether the net effect of
the week was more or less than normal. Before she left for the
day, she noted that today’s low temperature was 9 and figured
the difference between it and the record low of -16 for
- math word problem - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 10:17pm
To get you started:
Sunday’s temperature was 12 much warmer than the -7 on Friday
12 + (-7) = +5
12 much warmer than the . . . -2 on Saturday
12 + (-2) = +10
Continue the same way.
- math word problem - TIFFANY, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 12:16pm
I have a question... There is not a 5 degree differnce between 12 degrees and -7 degrees. So, wouldn't you write it 12 - (-7) = 19 degress? I am working on the same problem and trying to figure it out. I am now more confused then ever. Please no offence to Ms. Sue. I am just wondering. :)
- math word problem - liknfds, Monday, March 26, 2012 at 4:57pm
do your own work please
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Calculate the answers |-3-|-7-7|| Does |n+m| = |n|+|m| for all integers ...
- English - What is an example of activating prior knowledge when reading a story...
- english - Choose an essay or a short story to read. Then answer the following ...
- Literature - I have to write a book review on a captivity story that I've read. ...
- math - An eighth-grade student claims she can prove that subtraction of integers...
- Math - Write two equations that have your two integers as solutions. Show how ...
- math - Use each of the integers 1-9 exactly once in any order to write a ...
- maths - explain why are the following not groups: 1)the set of Z integers with ...
- math - Create an addition word problem and a subtraction word problem using ...
- Math - Create an addition word problem and a subtraction word problem using ...