Posted by Laura on Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 11:33pm.
What is the one of e.e. cumings poems ' anyone lived in a pretty how town' and 'old age sticks'? Where is the satire? To me, satire is funny, and I don't find either of these to be funny!
- english - SraJMcGin, Friday, June 26, 2009 at 1:15am
Here is more background on the poem:
What makes you think "satire" has to be funny? Did you look up all the meanings in a good dictionary?
- english - SraJMcGin, Friday, June 26, 2009 at 1:17am
P.S. Look carefully at this definition of "satire" from the Online Merriam Webster Dictionary:
1. 1 a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
2. 2 trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly - Synonym - see wit
- english - Laura, Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 12:52am
The American Experience: California Edition (Prentice Hall Literature
Timeless Voices, Timeless Themes
This is the textbook we are using and it says, " Satire is writing in which an author uses humor to ridicule or criticize certain individuals, institutions, types of behavior, or even humanity in general".
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- 11th English literature - A letter was left off in my previous question, ...
- english - "Talk is cheap until you hire a lawyer." Can someone please explain to...
- world literature - In the story" the Background" the type of humor the authors ...
- english 30-1 - write a short compostion discussing social satire in happy event...
- English - 1. He has lived in the town three years ago/last month/in 2003. 2. He ...
- English-Satire - I have to write a prose satire aimed at changing the behavior ...
- satire - How is this satire? “Here she was a-bothering about Moses, which was no...
- english - i need some information about satire and epic in 17 and 18 century......
- English II - I have to write an satire and I am doing it on the movie The Help.
- English - What is the best topic to write a satire on?