Posted by John on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 10:08am.
1. She poured water all over my painting and ruined it.
(Can we use 'spoiled' instead of 'ruined'?)
2. boil (water changes into moist)
2-2. boil (water changes into moisture)
(Which definition is right?)
3. He doesn't care about his family.
He is not worried about his family.
He is not concerned about his family.
He doesn't worry about his family.
He doesn't feel anxious about his family.
He doesn't mind about his family.
(Are they all the same? Do you have some more similar expressions?)
4. He knew the words by heart.
He knew the words by memory.
He learned the words by heart.
He memorized the words.
(Are they all the same?)
5. Will you help me prepare for the party?
5-2. Will you help me prepare the party?
(Are both the same? Which expressions do you prefer, 'prepare for' or 'prepare'?)
6. Who is taller, Tom or Ted?
6-2. Which is taller, Tom or Ted?
(Are both OK?)
7. What does this sign stand for?
What does this sign symbolize?
What does this sign represent?
(Are they all the same?)
- English - GuruBlue, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 10:35am
Yes, spoiled can be used in the same place as ruined.
#2. Neither is a definition. You can say, Boiling causes water to evaporate.
Water will boil at 212 degrees.
#3 All of those but the last one are generally used.
#4 All of those are used.
#5 Both of those are correct, but the first is most often used. You can also say "get ready for"
#6 Since you are talking about a person, you would use "who". If you were talking about a thing, you would use "which".
#7. Yes, all of those are used.
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 11:07am
In #3, the first one doesn't mean the same as all the others.
In 4, 5, and 7, yes, all the sentences in each group mean the same as the others in that group.
- English - bobpursley, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 11:34am
boiling water changes it into vapor (steam).
- English - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 12:34pm
However, for # 6 you will hear "Which one is the taller" when there are 2 being compared.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A pot containing 1.09 liter of water, initially at 18°C, is placed on ...
- CHEMISTRY - 45) George is making spaghetti for dinner. He places 4.01 kg of ...
- math - Water is poured into a right circular cone with a height of 10 cm and ...
- Honors chemistry - You need to boil 307 g of water (specific heat = 4.184) so ...
- 3rd homework - the water cycle lesson 2 how water changes and moves 1. ...
- Physics Hear - 1) Peter is heating water on the stove to boil eggs for a picnic...
- Physics Heat - 1) Peter is heating water on the stove to boil eggs for a picnic...
- ORGANIC CHEMISTRY - NAME THE PROCESSES OR TECHNIQUES IN THE FOLLOWING. 1....
- RE: Water - If I boil water at home, when and how do I know I've boiled the ...
- Physics - A pot containing 2 liters of 5 celsius water is putt on a stove that ...