Posted by Carmin on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:48am.
Which of the following is TRUE about the line through the points (–1, 4) and (–1, 2)?
Please EXPLAIN/SHOW WORK.
A. The slope is undefined
B. The slope is negative
C. The slope is 0
D. The slope is positive
Math - Carmin, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:49am
A. The slope is undefined.
B. The slope is negative.
C. The slope is 0.
D. The slope is positive.
Math - MathMate, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 10:35am
The slope m between two points P1(x1,y1) and P2(x2,y2) can be calculated using
m=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where x2≠x1
if x2=x1, and y2≠y1, it means that the line is vertical (slope is infinite or undefined)
if x2=x1 and y2=y1, the two points are coincident and the line is indefinite.
In all other cases, the slope m can be obtained by the formula above.
For the case in question,
P1(–1, 4) and P2(–1, 2)
so x2=x1=-1, and y2≠y1
Therefore the line is vertical.
Post again if you need more explanations to choose the answer.
Math - Carmin, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 11:40am
If the line is vertical there is no slope making it undefined correct?
Math - MathMate, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 6:35pm
Math - MathMate, Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 6:36pm
Sorry, it should read:
If the line is vertical the slope is infinite making it undefined.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- slope - Find the slope of the line passing through the given points using the ...
- Algebra1 - Complete this sentence with the correct choice: y = 4 is a horizontal...
- Algebra - Doing a slope project in Algebra. The instructions are to make a ...
- math/algebra - find the slope of any line perpendicular to the line through ...
- Algebra 1 help - Can someone tell me if my answers are right and explain how you...
- Algebra - Find the slope of any line perpendicular to the line through the ...
- math - 1. What is the slope of the line that passes through the points (-2, 5) ...
- algebra - Could someone please check my work. what is the slope of the line that...
- Math /Algebra - I was challenged with this question: Explain why the formula for...
- Math...Please help I need this done by 6:00 - This was the question: Explain why...