Posted by Physics on Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 1:02pm.
can you show me how to do this mathematically
A car traveling 90 km/h is 100 m behind a truck traveling 75 km/h. How long will it take the car to reach the truck?
- physics - DrBob222, Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 2:29pm
t r u c k xxxxxx|-------d---------|
The truck travels a distance, d km, while the car travels d + 0.100 km.
distance = rate x time. The time must be equal so
time = distance/rate
time for truck = d/75
time for car = (d+0.100)/90
time = time
d/75 = (d+0.100)/90
solve for d and I get 0.5 km. So the truck travels 0.5 km and the car travels 0.6 km. How long does that take.
d = r*t
t = d/r
t = 0.5/75 = 0.00667 hr or
t = 0.6/90 = 0.00667 hr.
You can convert 0.00667 hr to minutes, then to sec by
0.00667 hr x (60 min/hr) x (60 sec/min) = I get 24 seconds but check my work.
- physics - DrBob222, Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 3:07pm
There is another way to do this which is a little shorter.
Note that the difference between 90 km/hr and 75 km/hr is 15 km/hr. So we ask ourselves how long it takes to cover that additional 0.1 km at the rate of 15 km/hr. That is t=d/r = 0.100/15 = 0.00667 hr. Voila!
- physics - Physics, Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 3:28pm
- physics - stuti, Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 7:22pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A car traveling 80km/h is 120m behind a truck traveling 66km/h. How ...
- physics - A car traveling 90 km/hr is 100 m behind a truck traveling 50 km/hr. ...
- AP Physics - A car traveling 92 km/h is 130 m behind a truck traveling 75 km/h...
- physics - a car traveling 41.6 m/s is 190 m behind a truck traveling 19.4 m/s. ...
- Physics - A car traveling 80 is 120 behind a truck traveling 66 . How long will...
- Physics - A car traveling 88 km/h is 80 m behind a truck traveling 75 km/h. How ...
- physics - A car traveling 90km/h is 100m behind a truck traveling 75km/h. How ...
- physicss - A car traveling 84 km\h is 150 m behind a truck traveling 67km\h. How...
- physics - earlier in this forum, marina asked the same question as i did. ...
- physics - A truck is traveling with a uniform velocity 24 m/s, when it passes a ...