Posted by Kent on Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 10:47am.
How do i factor?
If i can get an idea how to do these and i work the rest i have to do myself, thanks
math - Reiny, Thursday, June 18, 2009 at 11:34am
The first is a simple case of "common factoring"
these can be quickly verified by merely expanding your answers.
the second is a "difference of squares"
the third is a standard "quadratic trinomial factoring"
the most popular method these days seems to be "decomposition"
multiply the coefficients of the first and last terms ... 2x2 = 4
now find two numbers so that when multiplied will give you 4, and when added will give you the coefficient of the middle term, namely -5
those 2 numbers clearly are -4 and -1
so rewrite the middle term of -5y as
-4y -y , thus the name "decomposition"
= 2y^2 - 4y - y + 2
now factor by finding the highest common factor of the first two terms
= 2y(y - 2) - y + 2
If you did everything correctly, that common factor of y-2 MUST also appear at the end, and surely ....
= 2y(y-2) - (y-2)
and a common factor once more ....
again you can always check your answer by expanding it, you must get the original question.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English(Clauses and Sentences) - I need help with this... One Sunday, when half ...
- mat 117/algebra - Find the GCF of each product. Please show the steps so I can ...
- Physics - A lumberjack (mass = 104 kg) is standing at rest on one end of a ...
- Functions - I have to find the x-intercept. The equation is y=-2((x-4)^2)+1 I ...
- Using the factor Theorem - use the factor theorem to determine whether x-c is a ...
- English - I have to write a research paper on Maya Angelou. I can do it in ...
- 7th grade math Ms. Sue please help I have no idea! - #10 On a blueprint, 1 inch...
- Math - Factor the following trinomial: 12x^2 - 11x + 2 Please help I have no ...
- English - I am a co-op student in a Grade 1 class have been preparing lessons ...
- Mathematics - I have the polynomial x^2+2x-8 and when I tried to factor it, I ...