Posted by M.A. on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 9:39am.
(1) In a class every boy is friends with exactly 3 girls. Every girl is friends with exactly 2 boys. There are only 19 desks (each holding at most two students), and 31 of the students in the class study French. How many students are there?
(2) A smaller circle rolls along the inside curve of a larger circle. The diameter of the larger circle is 3 times that of the smaller circle. How many revolutions does the small circle have to make to complete the inside curve of the larger circle?
I think the answer is 3. If I cut the circles and lay them flat on the ground, the larger circle is 3 times longer than the smaller circle. So the smaller circle would have to revolve 3 times in order to equal the distance inside the larger circle. Is that correct?
- math...2 word problems - Reiny, Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 9:58am
yes on #2
- math...2 word problems - M.A., Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 1:45pm
What is the answer and solution to #1?
- math...2 word problems - Reiny, Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 2:39pm
I can't quite get my head around this the way it is stated.
I see four restrictions:
(b -- boys, g -- girls)
b+g ≥ 31
b+g ≤ 38
g ≤ 3b
b ≥ 2g
If I graph this on a b-g axes graph, there is a region with about 80 ordered pairs that obey all 4 restrictions
e.g. b = 12 g = 22
b+g = 34 , which is less than 38 and greater than 31, check first two restrictions
third: is 22 < 3(12) ? yes
fourth: is 12 < 2(22) yes.
What don't I see ?
- math...2 word problems - Bob, Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 8:16pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - in a class every boy is friends with exactly three girls,
- statistics - 3. A couple is planning on having four children. Assume that the ...
- math - In a class of 80 seniors, there are 3 boys for every 5 girls. In the ...
- math - six girls are to enter a dance with ten boys so that every girl is ...
- Math 1350 - Mrs. Smith's classroom can hold at the most 30 students. Her first ...
- odds of... - Does anyone know the odds of having Two girls as children as ...
- Math - In a family with two children, what are the probabilities of the ...
- math - in a family with two children, what are the probabilities of two boys, ...
- Math - Students surveyed boys and girls separately to determine which sport was ...
- Math 132 - There are 7 girls and 6 boys in a class. Suppose five children are ...