Posted by is this right!!! on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:03am.
A die is rolled once. What are the odds against rolling a prime number? 2
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:11am
odds in favour of some event
= prob(of that event/prob(not that event)
primes form 1 to 6 are 2,3, and 5
so prob of a prime = 3/6 = 1/2
so prob of not a prime = 1-1/2 = 1/2
so the odds in favour of a non-prime = (1/2) ÷ (1/2)
- math - John, Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:16am
first off, what are the prime numbers?
a prime number is any number divisible by one and itself.
1, 2, 3, 5, are all prime numbers.
although 1 can be controversial. Some teachers consider 1 as a prime but some not. anyways assuming 1 is a prime. there is a total of 4 primes.
a dice has six sides of six numbers total.
so the probablility of rolling a prime number is:
4/6 and if you simplify: 2/3
but if you don't consider 1 as a prime:
the answer would be: 3/6 and simplify: 1/2
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 11:21am
Euler considered 2 to be the first prime, and who are we to argue against Euler.
- math - hannah, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:10pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A single die is rolled once. What are the odds against rolling a prime ...
- pre algebra - Two 6-sided dice are rolled. Find the odds of rolling s sum that ...
- Probability - A number cube, numbered 1 through 6, is rolled once. What is the ...
- Math - Two dice are rolled. Find the probability that an even number is rolled ...
- Math - Two dice are rolled. Find the probability that a multiple of three is ...
- math - A standard die is rolled three times. What is the probability that a ...
- Pre-Algebra - These are 2 problems that I'm stuck on; I know the answers to them...
- math 157 - Consider the experiment involving rolling a single die once. What is ...
- MATH! - An experiment consists of rolling a weighted die. The probability of ...
- math - If a dice is rolled 3 times, what is the probability of rolling a prime ...