Posted by micheal on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 12:18am.
Review example 2 How does the author determine what the?
Example 2. Translate. The first row of the table and the fourth sentence of the
problem tell us that a total of 63 pupae was received. Thus we have one
Since each pupa of morpho granadensis costs $4.15 and p pupae were
received, 4.15p is the cost for the morpho granadensis species. Similarly,
1.50q is the cost of the battus polydamus species. From the third row of
the table and the information in the statement of the problem, we get a
second equation: 4.15p+1.50q=147.50
We can multiply by 100 on both sides of this equation in order to clear
the decimals. This gives us the following system of equations as a
translation: p+q=63, (1)
Solve. We decide to use the elimination method to solve the system.
We eliminate q by multiplying equation (1) by -150 and adding it to
equation (2): -150p - 150q = -9450 Multiplying equation (1) by -150
263p =5300 adding
p =20. solving for p
To find q, we substitute 20 for p in equation (1) and solve for q:
p+q=63 Equation (1)
20+q=63 Substituting 20 for p
q=43. Solving for q
We obtain (20,43),or p=20, q=43
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- pronoun - When he arrive at the cafe', Zach started preparing the scones, ...
- Finte Math - Simplex Method - Just a few questions to make sure I am ...
- English 102 - I am not asking anyone to do my homework, i am just asking for ...
- algebra - Explain in your own words what it means for an equation to model a ...
- Java programming - can anybody help me.. Multidimensional Array Use a two-...
- Math Block Problem - A child organizes animal blocks in rows on the ground. ...
- MATH Word Problem - A child organizes animal blocks in rows on the ground. There...
- Pre-Algebra - Okay so I have no clue how to determine if a relation is a ...
- biology - Can you help me find an everyday object that has a similar function as...
- Biology/help please - Can you help me find an everyday object that has a similar...