Posted by Sideshow on Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 12:50pm.
Determine the point of intersection.
(a) y = 4x + 6
y = -x + 1
(b) 2x + 5y = 10
x = 10
Please show how to get the point of intersection. thoroughly explain how to get point of intersection.
- Math-Linear Systems - Sideshow, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 1:02pm
can someone answer this?
- Math-Linear Systems - Quidditch, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 2:09pm
for (a), one method:
y = 4x + 6
y = -x + 1
For the standard equation, y = mx + b,
m is the slope. If m is the same for both equations, the lines are the same or parallel. If parallel, the will not intersect. This is not the case here. The lines do intersect.
There are two equations with two unknowns.
Solve for x and y.
One method, eliminate y by substitution, giving:
4x + 6 = -x + 1
Solve for x.
Then, substitute that value of x into either equation and solve for y.
- Math-Linear Systems - Sideshow, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 2:12pm
- Math-Linear Systems - Sideshow, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 2:19pm
( 1 , 0 ) POI for (a)
( 10 , 2 ) POI for (b)
- Math-Linear Systems - Quidditch, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 2:33pm
Checking (a) only, (1, 0) is not correct. To check your answer, substitute the values into either equation.
So, y = 4x + 6
substituting your (1,0) answer...
0 = 4(1) + 6
0 = 10
which is not equal
- Math-Linear Systems - Quidditch, Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 2:38pm
A quick check of your answer for b shows a problem.
The second equation is:
2x + 5y = 10
Substituting the answer (10,2)...
2(10) + 5(2) = 10
20 + 10 = 10
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Anonymous - Give the exact intersection point for the equations f(x)=4sin^2x+...
- Calculus - Explain fully please and thank you! =) Determine the point of ...
- Vectors - I am really lost and confused! Consider the lines r = (1,-1,1) + t(3,2...
- Math - Find the point of intersection between y=2-(1/2)x and y=1+ax. (a=alpha ...
- Calc problem - Consider the function y=(kx)/(x-k) a. Show that y is symmetric ...
- Calculus - Use normal vectors to determine the intersection, if any, for each of...
- math help!!! - stuck!! pls help/explain!!! 2. Do the values in the table ...
- MATH - Find the solution/point of intersection of the following quadratic-linear...
- calculus - the graphs of f(x0=x^3 and g(x)=3x+5 have one intersection point. ...
- Calculus - The graphs of f(x) = x^3 and g(x) = 3X+5 have one intersection point...