Posted by John on Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 12:39am.
1. She is not allowed out after dark.
2. She is not allowed to go out after dark.
(Which expression is right? Are both OK?)
3. A rolling stone gathers no moss.
( What is the meanig of this proverb?
Does a rolling stone mean an active man?)
4. The coat doesn't fit me.
5. The coat doesn't fit in me.
6. The coat doesn't become me.
7. The coat doesn't look good on me.
8. The coat doesn't suitable for me.
(Are the five sentences the same? Which one are similar to #4?)
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 9:26am
1 and 2 mean the same thing, and they are both correct.
3 - Yes, you're right. An active person "gathers no moss." (Anything that gathers moss has been in the same place, unmoving, for years and years!)
4 is correct.
5 is incorrect.
6 and 7 are correct.
8 would be OK if the verb is "isn't" instead of "doesn't."
None of the other sentences mean the same thing as 4. Sentence 4 has to do with whether the coat fits (is the right size); sentences 6 and 7 have to do with whether it is stylish and makes you look good to others.
- English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 9:29am
#3 Here are many definitions as well: (Broken Link Removed)
#5 You could substitute ON.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. This style fits him nicely. 2. This style fits in him nicely. 3. ...
- photography - i have to take a roll of film for photography on things that ...
- History - What is the similarities and differences between Inuit art and that of...
- Math - In the middle pond is a patch of moss. The moss doubles in size every day...
- English - 1. I couldn't see him in the darkness. 2. I couldn't see him in the ...
- Science - Why is dark matter and dark energy reffered to as dark?
- English - I left out the following sentences. Thank you. 1) My bed is next to ...
- chemistry - If 9.00 g of _27^60 Co (half-life = 5.30 y) are allowed to decay, ...
- physics - you are standing on one side of the river. Figure out the width of the...
- English - Can someone check out the spelling and grammar for me, please? In this...