Posted by scooby9132002 on Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:04pm.
Where do metamorphic rocks originate? How are they formed?
What are the two categories of metamorphic rocks? What are the distinguishing characteristics between the two categories of rocks?
Metamorphic gets their name from change which is called "meta" and "morph" the proper name for the metamorphic rock is recrystallized rock. Now, of course, any rock can become a metamorphic rock as long as it is moved to an environmental condition. This allows the minerals that make the rock become unstable and out of the equilibrium due to the environmental conditions.
Metamorphic rocks are developed from; first of all there are many varieties of textures it depends on if the metamorphic rock was developed from erosion, a volcano or the movement of the rocks on the surface.
Magma is the start of the whole cycle of rocks. When the magma becomes solid from cooling off, then magma forms the igneous rocks. Then from the igneous rock the sedimentary Rocks is then developed from the minerals grain from erosion being weathered off which are then carried by water, ice and wind. This then goes to the bottom of the ocean or sea etc. which then eventually becomes metamorphic.
Foliation is planar arrangement of textural features in a metamorphic rock, which give the rock a layered or finely banded appearance.
The two types of metamorphic rocks are foliated metamorphic rocks and non foliated metamorphic rocks. Some examples of foliated metamorphic rocks are slate, schist, and gneiss. Some examples of non foliated rocks are marble and quartz. Foliated metamorphic rocks have layered or banded appearance that is produced by exposure to heat and directed pressure. Non foliated metamorphic rocks do not have a layered or banded appearance.
geology(this correct) - Ms. Sue, Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:21pm
Your last two paragraphs are great!
I don't think you understand what you wrote in your first paragraph.
This site explains briefly how metamorphic rocks were formed.
(Broken Link Removed)
geology(this correct) - Ms. Sue, Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:44pm
Your first paragraph has a lot of extra information in it -- but you didn't give the basics of how metamorphic rocks are formed -- heat and pressure.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geology - can you help me find some sites on these please... thank you. Where do...
- science geology - Where do metamorphic rocks originate? How are they formed? o ...
- SCI 245 - Describes the origin of metamorphic rocks Describes how metamorphic ...
- geology(science) am i correct - What are the two categories of metamorphic rocks...
- geology - can you help me plz find more information thanks What are the two ...
- sci - Where do igneous rocks originate? o How are they formed? o What are the ...
- science - which statement about metamorphic rock is true? A.sandstone is a ...
- Earth Science - A layer of sandstone is found on top of a layer of limestone in ...
- physical geology - what are two categories of metamorphic rocks?
- Geography - Write a 700-word paper in APA format that provides an overview of ...