Posted by Tammy on Friday, June 12, 2009 at 7:24am.
Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis co-exist as paired metabolic processes.
Photosynthesis uses light energy to convert carbon dioxide into glucose, a simple sugar, in two steps, the light dependent and light independent reactions. Oxygen is produced as a by product during photosynthesis. This reaction stores energy in the chemical bonds of glucose.
Sugar and other carbohydrates are used as fuel sources by cells. During the process of Aerobic Cellular Respiration, glucose is broken down using oxygen. This reaction releases energy which is used to create ATP molecules, the energy carrier molecule of cells. The process also releases Carbon Dioxide as a byproduct.
Part 1: Download and fill out this table to compare and contrast Photosynthesis and Aerobic Cellular Respiration. You will submit the completed table for Part 1.
Click here for a copy of the table.
Aerobic Cellular Respiration
Full balanced equation
Is this reaction endergonic or exergonic? State which one it is.
Energy source used
Cell organelles involved in the reaction
Role of ATP in the reaction
Part 2: After completing the table you will have a basic understanding of these two complementary metabolic processes. Using what you have learned, and additional reference information, answer the following questions.
What is the name given to the types of organisms that can use photosynthesis to produce glucose? In addition, provide THREE specific examples..
What is the name given to the types of organisms that exclusively use aerobic cellular respiration to break down glucose to produce ATP for energy? In addition, provide THREE specific examples.
If oxygen is lacking, how might cells meet their energy needs through fermentation? Explain and give some examples of cells that can do this.
Both photosynthesis and aerobic cellular respiration are examples of complex metabolic pathways, consisting of many linked chemical reactions that require enzymes to function. Briefly, explain two (ONLY TWO) attributes of enzymes in catalyzing chemical reactions and in metabolic pathways.
- Biology - Ms. Sue, Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:53am
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
- Biology - gary, Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 4:37pm
- Biology - gary, Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 4:57pm
how can i get the homework help forum posted by tammy on fri. june 12 2009
- Biology - Anonymous, Friday, April 2, 2010 at 11:45pm
the filled chart for photosynthesis and aerobic cellular respiration
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- biology - Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis co-exist as paired metabolic ...
- Biology 1 - Does anyone know of a Photosynthesis concept map that includes all ...
- 8th Grade Science - There is a connection between photosynthesis and cellular ...
- bio - Assignment: Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Energy acquisition is ...
- BIOLOGY ( please Help me) - In both lecture and lab, the significance of water...
- science - 4. Assignment: Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration Powerpoint ...
- biology help - Is photosynthesis only occurring during the daytime? What happens...
- biology - In both lecture and lab, the significance of water (H2O), molecular ...
- Science - Which of the following sets of words can be used to describe the ...
- biology - which of these would lead to an increase in carbon dioxide in the ...