Posted by Angie on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 4:42pm.
In a class of 550 students, students may take all, none, or a combination of courses as follows.?
Draw a Venn diagram to find how many students are not in any of these courses.
Mathematics and Technology-110
Science and Technology-100
Mathematics and Science-80
Mathematics, Science, and Technology- 20
I don't what numbers will go in each section of the Venn diagram and how you get the numbers..
- Math - Reiny, Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 7:06pm
start by drawing 3 intersecting circles, with an overlap of all 3 circles, label them M, S, and T for the 3 subjects.
Now fill in the values from the inside out.
20 take M, T, and S, so put that in the overlap of all 3
It says 110 take M and T, but we have already placed 20 of those 110, that leaves 90 to go into the region covered by M and S but NOT by T.
Repeat this process for the other two "doubles"
You should have 90 for M and T but not S,
and 80 for S and T but not M.
Now look at M only, it said that 280 take M, but we already have 170 in the M circle. That leaves 110 in the M circle which does not overlap anything else. Fill in the rest of the S and T circles the same way.
Now adding all those entries up should give you 440.
But there 550 students in the class, which means 110 would not be in any of the circles, thus not taking any of those 3 subjects.
- Math - Angie, Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 7:41pm
- Math - Angie, Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 8:00pm
But in this part, "It says 110 take M and T, but we have already placed 20 of those 110, that leaves 90 to go into the region covered by M and S but NOT by T." why can't you put it in M and T, when that was what 110 is for?
- Math - Kevdapaah, Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 6:05pm
The answer is not 440 it is 430 if you add all those numbers together 110+90+20+60 by M this will give you 280. 30+90+20+90 by T will add upto 230 90+30+60+20= 200 and 30,90,60,20,30,90,110 Add upto 430 so what do you think did I made a mistake or did he/she?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - In a group of 105 students, 70 students passed Mathematics, 60 students ...
- math - In a group of 105 students, 70 students passed Mathematics, 60 students ...
- mathematics - In a class of 40 students;30 offer science; 20 offer mathematics ...
- Math - In a group of 95 students , the ratio of students who like mathematics ...
- maths - In a class of 38 students, each student studies at least one of the ...
- math - out of 100 students in a final examination of class 10, 70 passed in ...
- GEOMETRY - Decide which of the variables described is likely to have a normal or...
- Elementary Math - Decide which of the variables described is likely to have a ...
- math 12 - In Lisa's first-year college program she must take nine courses ...
- mathematics - 1. In an examination conducted for 80 candidates, those who passed...