Posted by Samantha on Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 8:53pm.
Which equation is an identity?
a. 3x - 9 = 3x
b. 4p + 7 = 7 + 4p
c. 2w = 0
d. 5k = 5
ALSO... - Samantha, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 8:54pm
What's an identity?
Math (Algebra/Pre-Algebra) - Reiny, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 9:01pm
an identity is an equation which is true for all values of the variable
As a quick test, if you solve it, and you get a true statement, then it is an identity.
e.g. look at the first answer
3x - 9 = 3x
-9 = 0, which is NOT true, so Not an identity
4p + 7 = 7 + 4p
solving this we get
0 = 0 which is TRUE, so it is an identity.
Math (Algebra/Pre-Algebra) - Samantha, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 9:03pm
That makes so much sense! Thank you sooooooooo much! =]
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - My instructions are to solve the problem by showing the steps and ...
- pre-algebra - kk my teach told me to describe and draw things that are about pre...
- pre- algebra(MATH) - I need help with pre-algebra solving equations by ...
- Math (Algebra/Pre-Algebra) - What is the x-intercept of the line with equation ...
- algebra - If an equation is an identity, then the solution to that equation is ...
- SHAY - THE MATH QUESTION IS IT ALGEBRA , PRE ALGEBRA' OR GEOMETRY? Quadriatic ...
- Algebra HELP! - Solve the equation identify as an identity, an inconsistent ...
- Algebra - Solve the equation identify as an identity, an inconsistent equation ...
- Math pre algebra please help with ? - Solve the equation 1/2x -5 +2/3x=7/6x+4
- Math pre algebra please help - Solve the equation 1/2x -5 +2/3x=7/6+4