Posted by Sarah on Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:27am.
The wind is blowing from west to east at 35 mph and an eagle in that wind in flying at 22 mph relative to the air what is the velocity of this eagle realtive to a person standing on the ground if the eagle is flying (a) from west to east relative to the air and (b) from east to west relative to the air?
Can some one show me how to start this ?
Physics - MathMate, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:34am
It's the same situation as a boat in a river. If the river flows at 2 mph, and the boat moves at 3 mph in the direction of the flow of water, then the boat is moving 3 mph faster than the water. For an observer on the shore, the boat moves at 3+2 = 5 mph. downstream.
Inversely, if the boat moves against the water, the observer will see that the boat moves at 3-2=1 mph upstream.
Can you give it a try now?
Physics - Sarah, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:43am
So it would be 35 +22 = 57
and 35-22 = 13 ???
Physics - MathMate, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:53am
Good, the answers are correct!
(if they refer to questions (a) and (b) respectively)
Physics - Sarah, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:59am
that seemed to easy for physics ???
Physics - MathMate, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 12:13pm
Physics is not difficult at all as long as you make sure you understand how it works, which is what you have done.
Continue the good work!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - Air is blowing with a wind speed of 35 [mi/hr] eastward relative to ...
- Trig - In still air, an airplane is flying at 100 mph. It encounters a wind ...
- physics - A jetliner is traveling east from Seattle to Chicago, a distance of 1,...
- Math - Me, again... Please help me. Thank you. Assume a plane is flying directly...
- College Physics - In Chapter 3 we learned that the force of air drag on an ...
- physical science - Mike jogs east at a rate of 4 mph. The wind is blowing west ...
- Trig - A plane is flying at 240 mph heading North 60 degrees East. The wind is ...
- Precalculus - Okay I am soo confused with these two questions: The resultant of ...
- word problem - An airplane is flying with a heading of 60 degrees east of north ...
- Physics I NEED HELP BADLY - An airplane traveling east at a speed of 270 km/h ...