Posted by John on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 12:47pm.
1. How often do you read the newspaper?
2. How often do you read a newspaper?
3. How often do you read newspapers?
(What is the difference among them? Does #1 mean "How often do you read the same newspaper?")
4. That's too expensive!
5. That's too much!
(Both are the same, right? Then what is part of the speech of 'much'? Is 'much' an adjective? Does 'much' mean expensive?)
- English - Anonymous, Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 12:58pm
#1 means how often you read a specific newspaper.
#2 means how often do you read any newspaper.
#3 means how often do you read newspapers in general.
#4 and #5 sound the same to me.
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 1:01pm
1 - 3 mean slightly different things:
1 = "the newspaper" is most often referring to one newspaper that both the speaker and listener are familiar with.
2 = "a newspaper" means any newspaper, no matter which one.
3 = "newspapers" means about the same as #2, but in the plural.
Yes, 4 and 5 mean the same thing. In that sentence "much" is serving as an adjective in a shortened sentence; the entire expression would be, "That's too much money!"
As you can see, it can be a noun, an adverb, an adjective -- and is used in several idioms.
- English - PsyDAG, Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 11:39am
The use of "the" indicates a specific thing, typically the only one. The use of "a" indicates one of several options. For example, "this is the way to do it" in contrast to "this is a way to do it." In this case, this is "the" way to use these two articles.
With 4 and 5, expensive specifically refers to cost. However, the meaning of "much" is determined by the previous context. For example, if you were being portioned a dessert at a meal, you could also say, "That's too much!"
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. How often do you read the newspaper? - Sometimes. - I often read it...
- English - 1. How often do you read books? 2. How often do you read a book? 3. ...
- English - Posted by John on Monday, June 23, 2008 at 12:41am. 1. How often do ...
- English - How ofen do you read the newspaper? I read it every day. (Does the ...
- Statistics - *Give all probabilities to two decimal places. Three daily ...
- 7th grade - Almost everyone at the Bright Corporation reads a daily newspaper on...
- math - Almost everyone at the Bright Corporation reads a daily newspaper on a ...
- English - Writeacher, Can you please check these sentences. I urgently need to ...
- English - 1. The news about the hurricane is _____ in the newspaper. comparative...
- English - 1. Is Kelly a male name or a female name? 2. What is the difference ...