Posted by Samantha on Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:46pm.
The question says write a reaction for the ionization of the following compound in water. Identify the acid, the base, the conjugate acid, and the conjugate base in each of them.
My guesses are:
H2SO4 + H2O -> H3O+ + HSO4-
KOH + H2O -> K+ + OH- + H2O
CH3COOH + H2O -> CH3COO- + H3O+
NH3 + H2O -> NH2- + H3O+
HNO3 + H2O -> NO3- + H3O+
Before I guess the acids and bases, are any of these equation right? Can someone explain the rules for writing these equations?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:23pm
I don't see anything wrong with what you've done except the fourth one.
I would write
NH3 + HOH ==> NH4^+ + OH^- since NH3 is a stronger base than H2O.
Some would write the KOH as
KOH + H2O ==> K^+(aq) + OH^-(aq)
You need not guess at the acids and bases. For example, the first one.
H2SO4 + H2O ==> H3O^+ + HSO4^-
Now. Acids are proton donors. Which donated the proton?. Obviously the H2SO4 (since it is missing one on the right hand side). The base must be H2O for it accepted the proton (and it has an extra proton on the right side).
Answer this Question
- chem - Ok so for question I have to state whether the element/compound is an ...
- chem - Ok so i looked at it and tried to figure out the conj. base and acid. Are...
- Chemistry Logic - How can I tell a conjugate base from a regular base and a ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - List the conjugate base for the following acids: 1) ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - 1) Which of the following is not amphiprotic? H20, NH4...
- chemistry - Identify the acid/conjugate base and base/conjugate acid pairs for ...
- Chemistry - You have two buffer solutions 1) weak acid and its conjugate base 2)...
- Chemistry - Use the Bronsted-Lowry definitions to identify the two conjugate ...
- chemistry please check - for the following reactions label each species as an ...
- chem - For the following reactions, name the Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases. ...