Posted by Gweedo8 on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 9:58am.
1. Tin and oxygen gas are reacted together to form Tin (IV) oxide, a solid. If a piece of tin foil, 8.25cm x 21.5cm x 0.60mm (density = 7.28g/cm3) is exposed to oxygen and all the tin reacts, what is the mass of the oxidized tin foil? (98.4g)
2. From the information in problem 1, if air is about 21% oxygen by volume (d=1.309g/L) at 25C, atm). How many liters of air are required to completely react ith the tin foil? (76L)
3. Oxygen masks for producing O2 in emergency situations contain potassium superoxide, KO2. It reacts with CO2 and H2O in exhaled air to produce oxygen and potassium hydrogen carbonate. If a person wearing such a mask exhales 0.70g carbon dioxide perminute, how many grams of KO2 are consumed in 25 minutes? (28g)
- Chemistry - PC, Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:33pm
Can you start with finding the weight of the tin foil?
Tin (IV) means that the resulting compound is Sn++++, or equivalent meaning:
Sn + 2O2 = SnO4
With the ATOMIC mass of tin=118.17, and 16 for O2, you should be able to complete the calculations.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, May 29, 2009 at 3:04pm
Sn(IV) oxide is SnO2.
The correct equation is
Sn + O2 ==> SnO2.
- Chemistry - PC, Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:45pm
Oops, thanks Dr. Bob.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 5:19pm
Can someone explain how to do this?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry Stoichiometry - 1. Tin and oxygen gas are reacted together to form Tin...
- Chemistry - How do you find the ratio of moles of oxygen to moles of tin? What ...
- chemistry - Tin metal is heated with oxygen gas to yield tin(IV) oxide. Express ...
- Chemistry - A compound of Tin Sulfate is decomposed in the lab to give 1.91g of ...
- Chemistry - In chemistry lab we did an experiment trying to find the empirical ...
- Chemistry - calculate % tin by weight in tin oxide. SnO2. 78.77%?
- calculus - Use differentials to estimate the amount of tin in a closed tin can ...
- Math (Word Problem into formula) - A chemist is studying the properties of a ...
- Chemistry - In my experiment I heated some oxide of tin, in order to figure out ...
- Physics - A 250 g piece of tin at 99°C is dropped in 100 g of water at 10°C. If ...