Posted by Algebra on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 9:35am.
can show me how to do this with out just squaring
3x^(1/2) - x - 6 = 0
how do i do this and solve for x with out just squareing and using quadratic formula. I was never taught the proof of the quadratic formula and would like to know how to do with without squareing and if squaring is the only option which i doubt to solve for x can someone show me the proof using these number step by step
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:13am
you could try graphing.
change to 3√x = x+6
then split it into
y = 3√x and y = x+6
a few points on the graph would be (0,0), (1,3), (4,6) and (9,9)
the second is of course a straight line with slope of 1 and y-intercept of 6
it is immediately obvious that the two graphs cannot intersect, so your equation has no real solution.
The only other option is to square both sides of 3√x = x+6 ,
to obtain the quadratic equation x^2 + 3x + 36 = 0
which only has complex roots as shown by our graph above.
- Algebra - Dr Russ, Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:16am
I am not sure if this helps.
If we rearrange and square each side we end up with
and by inspection we see that one solution is x=3
to find the other divide
8x^2-12x-36 by x-3
8x-12=0 as the other solution
but check my maths!!
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:23am
if you want a "proof" and development of the quadratic equation, it is obtained by completing the square on
Ax + By + C = 0 as shown in
(BTW, I notice that DrRuss has a small error in his solution.
when you square 3√x you get 9x not 9x^2)
- Algebra - Dr Russ, Friday, May 29, 2009 at 4:53am
OOOPS That what comes of solving things quickly!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus II - So I have Maclaurin series for sinx = ∑(-1)^n[x^(2n+1)]/(2n+...
- math,algebra - can someone help me out factor out this 0=16t^2-122t+180 i have ...
- Quadratic Functions2 - Determine the standard form of a quadratic function whose...
- 8th Grade Algebra - You know how to solve quadratic equations using algebra, ...
- algebra II - I'm quite clueless as to how to solve this. I know the quadratic ...
- Help With Math - Using the quadratic formula to solve equations. -12^2 + 12 x-9...
- Algebra - Hello. I am trying to solve quadratic functions but I'm having ...
- Algebra 1 - solve using the addition and multiplication principle 2-2y-5y<65...
- College Algebra - Solve the following equation in the complex number system x^4+...
- math/science - "calculate the volume of 5g of a substance with a density of 6g/...