Posted by kelsi on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:17pm.
You need to siphon water from a clogged sink. The sink has an area of 0.36 and is filled to a height of 4.0 . Your siphon tube rises 45 above the bottom of the sink and then descends 85 to a pail as shown in the figure. The siphon tube has a diameter of 2.4
A)Assuming that the water level in the sink has almost zero velocity, estimate the water velocity when it enters the pail.
B)Estimate how long it will take to empty the sink
- physics - kelsi, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:19pm
sorry, the units didn't show up. it's .36 m^2, 4.0cm, 45cm, 85cm, 2.4cm
- physics - Damon, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:57pm
water .04 m deep.
volume = .04*.36 = .0144 m^3
bottom of sink to pail height difference is .85-.45 = .4 m
We will have to assume no friction in the pipe or entrance or exit losses unless you know those . Thefore use bernoulli
p + rho g * change in h + (1/2) rho v ^2 = constant
p is air pressure, v at start = 0 so
rho (9.81) (.4) = .5 rho v^2
v^2 = 7.848
v = 2.8 m/s
radius = .024/2 = .012 m
pi r^2 = .000452 m^2
volume flow rate = 2.8*.000452 = .001267 m^3/s
volume of water = .0144 so
time = .0144/.001267 = 11.36 seconds
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - You need to siphon water from a clogged sink. The sink has an area of ...
- Physics - A tall glass (20cm) is floating in your bathtub. It weighs 60 grams ...
- Math - The ratio between the height of the in a sink (h) in centimeters and the ...
- intermediate Algebra - A sink can be filled by a pipe in 2 minutes but it takes ...
- Math - A sink can be filled by a pipe in 6 minutes but it takes 12 minutes to ...
- Science - A block of ice has the density of 0.97 g/cm3. How much of it will sink...
- physics - A continuous stream of water is flowing out of a faucet and falling ...
- Math - Faucet A fills a sink in 2 hrs. Faucet A and B fill the same sink (...
- Algebra - 1) Mio can build a large shed in 15 days less than Yuuko can. If they ...
- Physics - A block of wood will sink 10 cm in freshwater. How far will it sink in...