Posted by kelsi on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:17pm.
You need to siphon water from a clogged sink. The sink has an area of 0.36 and is filled to a height of 4.0 . Your siphon tube rises 45 above the bottom of the sink and then descends 85 to a pail as shown in the figure. The siphon tube has a diameter of 2.4
A)Assuming that the water level in the sink has almost zero velocity, estimate the water velocity when it enters the pail.
B)Estimate how long it will take to empty the sink
- physics - kelsi, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:19pm
sorry, the units didn't show up. it's .36 m^2, 4.0cm, 45cm, 85cm, 2.4cm
- physics - Damon, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 9:57pm
water .04 m deep.
volume = .04*.36 = .0144 m^3
bottom of sink to pail height difference is .85-.45 = .4 m
We will have to assume no friction in the pipe or entrance or exit losses unless you know those . Thefore use bernoulli
p + rho g * change in h + (1/2) rho v ^2 = constant
p is air pressure, v at start = 0 so
rho (9.81) (.4) = .5 rho v^2
v^2 = 7.848
v = 2.8 m/s
radius = .024/2 = .012 m
pi r^2 = .000452 m^2
volume flow rate = 2.8*.000452 = .001267 m^3/s
volume of water = .0144 so
time = .0144/.001267 = 11.36 seconds
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - You need to siphon water from a clogged sink. The sink has an area of ...
- Physics - A tall glass (20cm) is floating in your bathtub. It weighs 60 grams ...
- physics - 2) Tube (b) is also filled with water, A1 is 0.05m2 and A2 is 0.08m2 ...
- physics - (c) Tube (c) is again filled with water. A1 and A2 are the same as in ...
- Physics - An open tube of length L = 1.60 m and cross-sectional area A = 4.60 ...
- intermediate Algebra - A sink can be filled by a pipe in 2 minutes but it takes ...
- Science - A block of ice has the density of 0.97 g/cm3. How much of it will sink...
- Math - A sink can be filled by a pipe in 6 minutes but it takes 12 minutes to ...
- physics - A continuous stream of water is flowing out of a faucet and falling ...
- physics - Four tubes are set up in the lab at sea level as shown by the figure. ...