Posted by John on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 8:46am.
(Which ones are wrong expressions? Can we use all expressions above?)
- English - Writeacher, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 8:53am
yesterday morning correct
yesterday afternoon correct
yesterday evening maybe, but "last evening" would be better
yesterday night incorrect
last night correct
this morning correct
this afternoon correct
this evening correct
this night unusual
tomorrow morning correct
tomorrow afternoon correct
tomorrow evening correct
tomorrow night correct
next night correct if you put "the" in front of "next"
- English - LehrerinSagt, Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 4:18pm
While "this night" is not usually used today, it is still a phrase used for emphasis, especially in religious rites or old books.
Example: During one Jewish holiday, the youngest child says, "Why is this night different from all other nights." The phrase is emphasizing that it is this special night that is important. Using the more familiar, tonight, wouldn't have the same impact.
"Yesterday evening" is another old phrasing that isn't used today.
Answer this Question
- English expression - Look at the sun which is shining brightly in the middle of ...
- English - I forgot to include the following sentences. Thank you very much. 1) ...
- English - Writeacher, I need to write phrasal verbs related to work. I wonder if...
- Math - Hole digger A 69-inch-tall worker is digging a hole. In the morning the ...
- English - 1. I will finish it by tomorrow evening. 2. I will have finished it by...
- french - How do you say "at night"....le soir?...how about in the morning, in ...
- ashford - Mrs. Orlof teaches two history classes, one in the morning and one in ...
- Logic - Mrs. Orlof teaches two history classes, one in the morning and one in ...
- Logic Research - Mrs. Orlof teaches two history classes, one in th morning and ...
- PHI 103 - Mrs. Orlof teaches two history classes, one in the morning and one in...