Posted by Steve on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 1:11pm.
Hi, I have a test tomorrow and our teacher gave us a huge review worksheet. I am still not sure how to do some of these so I would appreciate if you could do the following problems out in all steps. I tried to pick some from each section.
- Thanks :)
1. 7x+2/6x + 2x-11/6x
2. x^2/x+5 - 25/x+5
3. 5/6x-2y - 3/9x-3y
4. x/2x-4 - 2/x^2-2x
5. x/x+3 - 5/x+2
6. x-4/y^2-x-2 + x-7/x+1
Algebra 1 lvl 1 - Steve, Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 1:13pm
Sorry for number six, the bottom of the first fraction is an x^2 NOT a y^2 very sorry.
Algebra 1 lvl 1 - Reiny, Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 2:25pm
In each case, you should have brackets around what I assume is the numerator and the denominator.
e.g. in #1 (7x+2)/(6x) + (2x-11)/(6x)
since you have a common denominator already, just add the tops
= (3x-3)/(2x) after dividing top and bottom by 3
#2 becomes (x^2-25)/(x+5) since we again have a common denominator
= (x+5)(x-5)/(x+5) , the top was a difference of squares
in #3 factor the two denominators to
2(3x-y) and 3(3x-y)
in the second fraction you can cancel the 3's
and then your common denominator is 2(3x-y)
x/(2x-4) - 2/(x^2-2x)
= x/[2(x-2)] - 2/[x(x-2)]
common denominator will be 2x(x-2)
so we have
x^2/[2x(x-2)] - 4/[2x(x-2)]
= (x^2 - 4)/[2x(x-2)]
do #5 and #6 the same way
in #6 the first denominator factors to
(x-2)(x+1), which then becomes your common denominator.
Let me know what you get.
Algebra 1 - robert, Friday, July 17, 2009 at 9:52am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Functions - Find the sum of the 50 greatest negative integers. I'm supposed to ...
- to ms.sue - it's still confusing when you subtract it. at 8:00, can you give me ...
- Language Arts - Which of the following sentences about the selection uses the ...
- algebra - The first three equations I have solved, I would just appreciate ...
- Algebra - The first three equations I have solved, I would just appreciate ...
- Social Studies 7 - Final Review Help! - What is the what is the unalienable ...
- math - i have a HUGE math test tomorrow, And I need some help on Factoring. Any ...
- Grade 10 Math - I've missed quite alot of school because I was sick and when I ...
- math - i have a test tomorrow and im still not sure how to do this. can you ...
- Physics (Final Review) - Ok so tomorrow is my Physics final and I have so much ...