Posted by John on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:09am.
1. I got up early to get ready for the game.
2. I got up early to get ready to play the game.
(Are both the same?)
3. Way to go!
4. Good job!
5. Good for you!
(Do the three have the same meaning? What is the difference among them?)
6. Today was the happiest day of my life.
7. Today was the happiest day in my life.
(Which one is right? Are both right?)
8. Please come to the game this Saturday.
9. Please come to the game on this Saturday.
(Is #9 not right?)
10 . Minho received his report card, and he was at the top of his class.
11. Minho received his report card, and he was the first of his class.
12. Minho received his report card, and he was the first in his class.
13. Minho received his report card, and he was the first in grade in his class.
(From 10 to 13, are they all the same? Would you let me know useful expressions related to that? Can we use 'got' instead of 'received'?)
- English - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:28am
1 and 2 mean the same thing -- 1 is more commonly used, though.
3, 4, and 5 are all fine. All are used at different times. They mean about the same thing (almost no difference).
6 and 7 are both correct, but 6 is more commonly used.
8 is correct; you don't need "on" as in 9.
10 and 12 are the most commonly used. The others aren't incorrect, just not smooth or used commonly.
Yes, you can use "got" in place of "received" -- it's more like slang, but it's not incorrect.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. He got up early and he got ready for the game. 2. He got up early, ...
- English - 1. Because Tom got ready for the game, he got up early. 2. Getting ...
- English - 1. I got up early getting ready for the game. 2. I got up early while ...
- English - 1. He is good at playing billiards. 2. He is good in playing the ...
- ENGLISH - 6. Which of the following sentences contains correct usage of its/it...
- English - 1. Give me a minute. I'll be ready soon. 2. Give me a moment. I'll be ...
- Ashford - This week you will analyze the computational complexity of the game ...
- English - Bingo Game 2 Hello, class. Let's play the bingo game. Look at the ...
- English - 1. When Ann got the job, her parents walked on air. 2. When Ann got ...
- English - 1. You grew so much the last few days. 1-1. You grew so much for the ...