Posted by John on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 6:19am.
1. What do you usually do after school?
I always go to an academy.
I always go to my academy.
I always go to our academy.
I always go to the academy.
(Which answer is right and commonly used?)
2. I have a father, a mother, and a sister.
3. I have Father, Mother, and a sister.
4. I have a father, a mother,
and no brothers and sisters.
5. I have a father and a mother.
I am an only child.
6. I have a father and a mother.
I am an only daughter.
7. I have a father and a mother.
I have no brother and sister.
(From 2 through 7, which ones are correct? Are all correct?)
8. Is that really grandmother?
9. Is that really Grandfather?
(Which one is right? Is #8 also correct?)
English - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 7:56am
1 - The fourth one is probably the most commonly used; all are grammatically correct.
2 - 7 --
2 is probably the best.
3 is awkward and not parallel.
Scroll down to the second chart to see examples similar to yours.
4 is OK, but would be better with "but" instead of "and" since you are setting up a contrast.
5 and 6 are OK, but the sentences sound "choppy" when they are not joined with a comma and conjunction as the earlier ones are.
7 is OK, but also sounds choppy as separate sentences. Also the conjunction in the second sentence should be "or" not "and."
9 is better than 8; since you are referring to a specific person you call by that term, the capital G needs to be there. If you had written, "Is that really my grandmother?" -- then no capital G.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What do you do after school? 1. I go to an art academy to practice ...
- English expression - 1. I went to an academy. 2. I went to academy. 3. I went to...
- English - What do you do after school? 1. I go back home directly and do my ...
- English - What are you going to do after school? 1. I am going to go to academy...
- math - the total number of horses and people at a riding academy one sunday was ...
- English - What do you have to do afer school? 1. I have to go to my academy and ...
- statistics - show me Police academy acceptance exams to qualify for a police ...
- Chemistry - Spontaneous reactions ________. always release free energy*** always...
- English - Essays, articles, and speeches are all works of nonfiction. Which of ...
- english - Essays, articles, and speeches are all works of nonfiction. Which of ...