Posted by Lydia on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9:59pm.
I have no clue as to how this problem should be solved... could i have some help please?
Calculate the rms speed of SF6 molecules at 16°C
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:12pm
The formula is in your text, I'm sure. Look under Kinetic Molecular Theory.
rms = sqrt(3RT/M) where R is 8.314, T is is Kelvin and M is molar mass.
- Chemistry - Lydia, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:15pm
- Chemistry - Lydia, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:26pm
so is it
3 x 8.314 x (16°C + 273)K / (146.065 molecules / 6.02e23) = 2.970841253e25 ?
is that right?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:07pm
No. You have omitted the square root AND you stuck a 6.02e23 in there that doesn't belong there.
rms = sqrt(3*8.314*289/146.056) = ??
The M is the molar mass; i.e., the mass of 1 mol which is 146.056g (not 146.065 molecules).
- Chemistry - Elizabeth, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:12pm
sqrt(3 x 8.314 x 289/146.056) = 7.025 m/s
is that right?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:18pm
That's what I have. If your prof is picky about significant figures, I would round the 7.025 to 7.02 m/s (three places since the 289 is to 3 places).
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - At2 26.3C, F2 molecules have a certain value of rms speed. At what ...
- Chemistry Help - The molecules of a certain gas sample at 367 K have a root-mean...
- CHEMISTRY - At what temp do hydrogen molecules, H2, have the same rms speed as ...
- Chemistry - At what temp do hydrogen molecules, H2, have the same rms speed as ...
- PHYSICS - A gas cylinder contains a mixture of carbon dioxide and oxygen, which ...
- RMS Speed - A gas is at 20°C. To what temperature must it be raised to triple ...
- calculate rms - calculate the rms speed of nf3 molecules at 23 C?
- Chemistry #26 - where R=8.314 J/(mol·K) and ℳ is molar mass in kilograms ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the rms speed of Br2 molecules at 23 °C and 1.00 atm. What...
- AP Chem - 87. At what temperature would CO2 molecules have an rms speed equal to...