Posted by Jus on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 7:14pm.
An investment pays 8% interest, compounded annually.
a) write an equation that expresses the amount, A, of the investment as a function of time, t, in years.
b) determine how long it will take for this investment to double in value and then to triple in value.
c) determine the percent increase in value of the account after 5 years and then after 10 years.
d) explain why the answers to parts b and c do not depend on the amount of the initial principal.
Can someone explain to me how to get started? I do not know where to start except for the fact that I need to make an exponential function.
- exponential function - Damon, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 7:56pm
after one year
A = Ao (1.08)
after two years
A = Ao (1.08)(1.08)
after three years
A = Ao (1.08)(1.08)(1.08)
after t years
A = Ao (1.08)^t
When is A/Ao = 2?
2 = 1.08^t
log 2 = t log 1.08
.301 = t * .0334
t = 9.01 years to double
That should get you started.
- exponential function - Jus, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 8:04pm
did i do part c right?
c) determine the percent increase in value of the account after:
therefore 1.47 % increase???
- exponential function - Jus, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 8:09pm
after 10 years
therefore 2.16% increase?
Am I doing this right?
d) Explain why the answers to parts b and c do not depend on the amount of the initial principal.
- exponential function - Damon, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 8:12pm
therefore 1.47 % increase??? "
A factor of 1.47 is a 47% increase
100 * final/original = 147/1 =147 %
which is 47 % over the original 100%
- exponential function - Damon, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 8:13pm
2.16 * 100 = 216 % of original
216 % - original 100% = 116% increase
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- advanced functions - An investment pays 8% interest, compounded annualy. Write ...
- Exponential Word Problem - An investment pays 3.5 percent interest, compounded ...
- Algebra - Greta invests $10,000 in an investment that pays 3% interest, ...
- precalc - A $5000 investment earns 7.2% annual interest, and an $8000 investment...
- Math - A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) earns interest at a rate of 5...
- Maths B - Kate is thinking about investing $45000 for 5 years. She deposits her ...
- Investment interest - Scenario: A client comes to you for investment advice on ...
- Financial Math - An investment of $2500 accumulates at 6% p.a compounded semi ...
- Algebra - An investment grows according to the exponential equation y = 15,000...
- Algebra I - 5. Holly wants to invest $1000. The table below shows the value of ...