Posted by Sarah on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9:32am.
I'm sitting my maths non-calculator GCSE tomorrow and am currently revising. I'm doing a practise paper and am currently stuck on this question:
Express A in terms of w.
3w + 20 A
-------- = --------
200 A + 12
-- What does the question mean?
-- Can you explain to me step by step how to solve this problem? I'm really bad with understanding maths lingo btw :)
- Maths - Sarah, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9:33am
Arg, that problem is supposed to be
3w + 20
is equal to
A + 12
- Maths - Reiny, Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 9:40am
write it like this, it is easier to read in this format.
(3w+20)/200 = A/(A+12)
cross-multiply to get
(3w+20)(A+12) = 200A
3Aw + 36w + 20A + 240 = 200A
3Aw - 180A = -240 - 36w
switch all the signs
180A - 3Aw = 240 + 36w
factor out an A
A(180 - 3w) = 240 + 36w
divide by 180 - 3w
A = (240+36w)/(180-3w)
A = (80+12w)/(60-w)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - Hi there, I'm currently stuck on a maths question. Find the limit as x ...
- Maths - Hi, I am just doing some maths revision in light of my maths GCSE resit...
- HISTORY,GEOGRAPHY,MATHS LIT,LIFE ORIENTATION,... - OK HEY,,,IM LOST I DONT KNOW ...
- very complicated maths - Hey guys, need some help with a question ive been stuck...
- MATHS&SCIENCE - Do I qualify for an application for a Sasol bbursary as I am ...
- maths - You are asked to write a program for the course calculator to help a ...
- Chemistry - Hey; I'm currently in a kinetics class and I am trying to do a ...
- MATHS&SIENCE - Do I qualify for an application for a Sasol bbursary as I am ...
- English - Hello. Will you please help me with one more question? Is it possible ...
- maths, variations - question: if y is proportional to x, and that y=6 when x=12...