Posted by mysterychicken on Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 9:39am.
Which sentence contains an item that is either incorrectly in quotation marks or that should be in quotation marks:
A.Read the chapter entitled "The Hidden Life of Molecules."
B.Why did you call the painting "Wildlife Number 57"?
C.The short story about learning to play the violin was called "Breathing The Music."
D.A busload of children was singing "Jingle Bells".
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 9:49am
(Broken Link Removed)
At this site, hold your cursor over CITING SOURCES and then look at the entries for these:
**Essay in a Collection (for a chapter and a short story)
**Artwork (for a painting and a song)
Which ONE is not done with quotation marks?
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:02am
It says the name of a specific song is enclosed within quotation marks. So that makes D wrong.
About stories- Notice that we do not use "p" or "pp" (abbreviations for "page" and "pages") before listing the page or range of pages in the citation
So A? Because it's not listing pages.
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:08am
No, not A.
Quotation marks are used for anything that can be printed WITHIN something else (short stories in an anthology, chapters in a book, songs in a song book, poems in an anthology, etc.).
So ... what's left?
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:43am
Sorry for the late reply: B?
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:47am
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:51am
Thanks a million Writeacher =)
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 11:32am
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - e.g. I'm here on the ORBIS plane,"the flying eye hospital." (In this ...
- English - In the sentence... Paul often wrote poems in the evening. He also ...
- grammar - Identify the appropriate punctuation for the phrase in () in the ...
- grammar - ( The Gift of the Magi ) is O.Henry's most famous short story. should ...
- english - Which sentence uses italics, quotation marks, and punctuation ...
- QUOTATION MARKS - Question 12 Put ________ around a person's exact words. ...
- English - Identify the appropriate punctuation for the underlined word or phrase...
- QUOTATION MARKS - 13.Use ________ for direct quotes. quotation marks hyphens ...
- Question - Am I PUNCTUATING THIS SENTENCE CORRECTLY? Have you read the article ...
- 2nd grade - the homework is about quotation marks. Add quotion marks if the ...