Posted by Natash on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:07pm.
the pH of a .100 M solution of sodium formate = 8.37. Calculate the value of Ka of formic acid.
okay so I know that the anion of a weak acid is itself a weak base
so A- +H2O---> OH- + HA
pOH =14-8.37 so conc of OH is 10^-5.63
Ka=[OH][HA]/[A-] so we know the conc of OH and A- and then im stuck helppp
- chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:29pm
Convert to (OH^-) = ?? I get 2.34 x 10^-6 but check me out on that. (HA) is the same. (A^-) is 0.1. Solve for Ka.
- chem - Natash, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:53pm
I know that part, but why are the conc. of OH and HA the same ?
- chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:08pm
When one 1 mole of A^- hydrolyzes, it produces 1 mole of HA and 1 mole of OH^-. Or you can make up an ICE chart from your equation.
A^- + HOH ==> HA + OH^-
A^- = 0.1.
HA = 0
OH = 0
HA = +x
OH^- = +x
A^- = -x
HA = x
OH^- = x
A^- = 0.1-x
Don't hesitate to follow through if you still don't understand.
- chem - Natash, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:17pm
OHHHH got it, without the ICE chart I sort of get confused. Thanx!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The pK3 of formic acid is 3.75 A)what is the pH of a buffer in which...
- AP Chemistry - A buffer solution contains .4mol of formic acid, HCOOH and a ....
- chemistry - A. Strong Base 1.) What is the concentration of a solution of KOH ...
- Chemistry - What is the solubility of CaF2 in a buffer solution containing 0.45M...
- chem - calculate the pH of 0.25 M formic acid and 0.40 M sodium formate
- Chemistry - 20.0 ml of 1.00 M formic acid are combined with 10.0 ml of 1.00 M ...
- Chemistry - A buffer is prepared by mixing 0.30 mole of formic acid (HCNO2) and ...
- Chemistry-need help ASAP - 15 ml of 3.0 M NaOH are added to the following: 500.0...
- chemistry - formic acid is a weak acid with a ka value of 1.8x10^-4 at 25 ...
- chemistry - Calculate the percent ionization of a 0.15 formic acid solution in a...