Posted by mysterychicken on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:09pm.
Are these correctly answered?-
Choose the answer that best completes the sentence:
1.Painting the door in the storage area were Lizzie and ______
2.Each of the boys had prepared _____ remarks well.
3.Carefully balanced on the arm of the chair _______ a stack of books.
4.Either two chairs or a small sofa ____ in this space.
5.Just then, a flock of ducks ______ right in the swimming pool!
6._____ $30 a lot to pay for a pair of socks?
- Grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:11pm
1, 2, and 6 are correct.
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:14pm
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:23pm
I respectfully disagree; I believe # 6 is also wrong. Thirty dollars, in my opinion, is considered singular. If we turn the question around and make it a statement, we get "Thirty dollars is a lot to pay for a pair of socks."
When I taught grammar, I taught the students to put parentheses around all prepositional phrases. That helps you find the verb, subject, and objects in a sentence.
For instance, # 3 --
Carefully balanced (on the arm) (of the chair) _______ a stack (of books).
This leaves Carefully balanced ____ a stack.
What is the subject of this verb? What should the verb be?
If you need help with prepositions and prepositional phrases, study these sites.
- Grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:24pm
Oh, you're right. 6 should be singular.
(too fast reading, again!)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grammar - 1.Painting the door in the storage area were Lizzie and ______ A.she B...
- Check my answers - Question 1.Choose the answer that identifies the case of the...
- English - Please some one check to see if I got these right. Thank you:) 1.Which...
- Grammar - Which verb completes the sentence below correctly? Each of the players...
- Sentence Completion - Which word best completes this sentence? 1. Although the ...
- grammar - okay I'm a little lost on this one :/ which choice correctly completes...
- vocabulary help - When the realtor realized that there was a large dent in the ...
- HELPPPP NOOWW !!!!! - Type the pronoun that correctly completes the sentence. ...
- English - 1.Which of the following shows the correct parenthetical citation for ...
- ENGLISH - 1.Is the group of words a simple sentence, a compound sentence, a run-...