Posted by mysterychicken on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:17pm.
Need a couple of these checked-
What best describes the phrase in CAPS?
1.Shiny glass bowls and goblets drew the gaze of people PASSING THE WINDOW.
Ans- gerund phrase
2.TO CONVINCE YOUR AUDIENCE, you need facts and solid reasoning
Ans- infinitive phrase
3.Try DIALING THE NUMBER AGAIN VERY SLOWLY.
Ans- participial phrase
The third one confused me...lemme know which ones are wrong
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:21pm
Your first and third answers are wrong.
Please study participial and gerund phrases again.
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:23pm
So #3 = gerund phrase
And #1 = participial phrase
Is that it?
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:27pm
Yes. But I'm disturbed because you obviously didn't take the time to study these kinds of phrases.
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:34pm
They're confusing :(
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:39pm
Do you know the difference between a participial phrase and a gerund phrase? What does your book say?
What does the site I posted for you say?
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:41pm
A gerund is a verbal that ends in -ing and functions as a noun.
A participle is a verbal that is used as an adjective and most often ends in -ing or -ed
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:43pm
Right. So -- tell the difference you look to see how the phrase is functioning. If it describes a noun or pronoun, it's used as an adjective and is a participle.
If it is the subject or object, then it's acting as a noun and is a gerund.
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:46pm
Mkay,I'll remember that. thanks
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grammar - Need this one checked- Choose the label that best describes the phrase...
- Grammar - Need help with these- Choose a label that best describes the phrase in...
- English-Grammar - Identify the word or words the best describes the underlined(...
- English - This is what I think they are 1."Leaving their native land to colonize...
- English - "Studying about medicine" is important to a doctor. adverbial phrase ...
- english - Which term best describes the underlined words? Originating in Bohemia...
- Grammar - What best describes the phrase in CAPS? A pair of muddy shoes in the ...
- english - Identify the term that correctly identifies the capitalized word(s) in...
- Lang. Arts - Identify the term that correctly identifies the capitalized word(s...
- English - 4. (Landing in New England) caused much disappointment among the ...