Posted by John on Friday, May 8, 2009 at 10:10pm.
1. Shall we go to a movie?
1-2. Shall we go to the movie?
2. Shall we go to see a movie?
3. Shall we go to see the movie?
4. Shall we go to the movies?
5. Shall we go to the movie?
(Are all the sentences grammatical? I think #4 is correct. What about # 5?)
6. The bag was gone.
6-2. The bag disappeared.
(Are both the same?)
7. He was gone.
7-2. He disappeared.
(Are both the same?)
8. There are two McDonald's here.
8-2. There are two McDonals's' here.
8-3. There are two McDonald'ses here.
(Which one is correct?)
- English - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 10:23pm
All of the first five are all correct. When you say "a movie," you mean any movie. "The movie" implies a specific movie that you've already talked about. The exception is # 4 -- "the movies" -- which means any movie.
# 6 and 7. They are almost the same. With 6-2, you're implying that you don't know what happened to the bag. With 6-1, it's not clear whether you know what happened to the bag. For instance, you might say, "I saw a group of men around the bag -- and then it was gone."
Only the first # 8 is correct. The other two are not correct.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. Shall we have some pizza at the pizza house? 2. Shall we have some ...
- L.A - "President Lincoln's Declaration of Emancipation, January 1, 1863 bu ...
- L.A. - "President Lincoln's Declaration of Emancipation, January 1, 1863 bu ...
- L.A - President Lincolnís Declaration of Emancipation, January 1, 1863" by ...
- Language arts - In the first stanza, while lines rhyme? A. Lines 1 and 3. 1. It...
- english - . Which of the following is the best example of an inverted sentence? ...
- Language Arts Ms. Sue?? Writeacher?? Reed? - "President Lincoln's Declaration of...
- eng/lit - in the sonnet against that time shakespeare in lines 1-12,which of ...
- English - 1. As I have seen the movie twice, I don't want to see the movie again...
- Language Arts - 1. It shall flash through doing ages, 2.It shall light the ...