Posted by mysterychicken on Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:31pm.
The last four grammar questions of the day [I think]-
idenify the word that the phrase in CAPS modifies:
1.A scientist WHO FINDS ONE NEW SPECIES is very happy
2.WHEN SOMEONE FINDS SEVERAL NEW SPECIES AT ONCE, that is rare indeed
3.Only a few plants, WHICH MEET STRICT REQUIREMENTS, will go under an electron microscope.
Ans- I'm not sure about this one:: plants?
4.New Jersey then was as warm AS TROPICAL BRAZIL IS TODAY.
Ans- not sure about this one either:: New Jersey?
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:34pm
The first three are correct. :-) The clause in number 4 is an adverb clause modifying the adjective, "warm."
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:38pm
Thanks so much! :D
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:43pm
You're very welcome, MC.
- Grammar - drwls, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:46pm
I am not so sure about #2. I would choose "that"
- Grammar - mysterychicken, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:46pm
Hmmm, you're right. That could be it!
- Grammar - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 8:48pm
I think you're right, Drwls. Although "when" doesn't usually introduce adjective clauses, this may be an exception.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Grammar - Need a couple of these checked- What best describes the phrase in CAPS...
- Grammar - Need help with these- Choose a label that best describes the phrase in...
- Grammar - Need help with these- Type the word that the phrase in CAPS modifies 1...
- Science - How might creativity help a scientist? a)creativity allows a scientist...
- Grammar - What best describes the phrase in CAPS? A pair of muddy shoes in the ...
- Lang Arts - Select the letter that corresponds to the word or words that the ...
- science - A scientist goes to a large international conference and hears about a...
- Grammar - Is the phrase in CAPS an independant clause? USUALLY, BLUE JAYS ...
- Science - How might creativity help a scientist? A.Creativity allows a scientist...
- biology - a scientist finds no evidence that species in a community are ...