Posted by y912f on Friday, May 8, 2009 at 5:05pm.
A circular pond 20 m in diameter is surrounded by a gravel path 5 m wide. The path is to be replaced by a brick walk costing $30 per square meter. How much will the walk cost?
i need to teach this to my brother, but i'm stuck on it myself. please show me how this would be solved
i tried figuring out the area of the whole circle(including the pond and walk) and then subtracting the inner circle (pond)
but i don't get the correct answer
- PreAlgebra - RickP, Friday, May 8, 2009 at 6:33pm
Your method should work.
area = 2 * pi * radius^2
area ~ 6.28 * radius^2
diameter = 20m
radius = diameter / 2
radius = 20m / 2 = 10m
area = 6.28 * (10m)^2 = 6.28 * 100m^2
area = 628m^2
POND and WALK:
remember, the walk goes all the way around the pond, so there is 5m of wall on the west boundary and another 5m of wall on the east boundary. The diameter is increased by 10m, not just 5.
diameter = 20m + 10m = 30m
radius = diameter / 2
radius = 30m / 2 = 15m
area = 6.28 * (15m)^2 = 6.28 * 225m^2
area = 1,413m^2
The area of the walk is equal to the area of the pond AND walk minues the area of the pond alone.
area = 1,413m^2 - 628m^2
area = 785m^2
- PreAlgebra - Dana, Monday, February 24, 2014 at 5:20pm
No I don't have an answer so I came to this very unhelpful website. Bye!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- maths - a circular flower bed is surrounded by a path 3m wide the diameter is ...
- Maths - A circular lily pond is surrounded by a gravel walkway that is 4 m wide...
- math - a worker in a city park needs to cover a circular path around the outside...
- Math - A pond 100 ft in diameter is surrounded by a circular grass walk 2 feet ...
- math - a worker in a city parks need to cover a circular path around the outside...
- math - A pond 100 feet in diameter is surrounded by a circular grass walk which ...
- math - A circular pond of diameter 15m is sorrounded by a path of of 2m wide ...
- Math - there is a path 7 meter wide outside around the square playground of side...
- maths - A rectangular grassyplot is 112m long and 78m broad. It has a gravel ...
- ranjeet singh model school - A square lawn is surrounded by a path 2.5m wide, if...