posted by Traci on .
Teacher had us to find the verb and/or action verb in sentences. She said there would be either one of each or 2 action verbs in the sentence. What are the verbs/action verbs in these sentences.
1. His car hit a wall in the world's first car accident.
2. The auto had difficulties, however.
3. He hit a surprise team of horses in the first bike accident ever.
4. He hadn't given it brakes.
My mom and I have talked to 5 different people including teachers are we are stuck.
1. The action verb is HIT.
2. The action verb is HAD. (Note that had is often used as a helping verb. But in this sentence it's the action verb.)
3. The action verb is HIT.
4. The action verb is HAD GIVEN. (Note that in this sentence, HAD is a helping verb.)
We identified the obvious like you did. But the teacher said there will be 2 in each in sentence. That's what we can't find.
Those are all of the verbs in these sentences. Didn't your teacher say there would be one OR two in each sentence?
No. She said there would be either 1 verb and 1 action verb OR 2 action verbs.
The teacher is incorrect. Ms. Sue is correct.