Posted by Meloney on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 5:57pm.
A design calls for a rectangular garden with an area of 180 square feet. If the length is to be 3 feet more than the width, set up an equation and solve that equation to find the dimensions of the garden.
I drew a sketch and labeled the width "w" and the length "w+3"
my equation was:
simplified and split the middle term:
should I group again?
- Algebra 1 - Emmalene, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 6:08pm
Well, w^2 + 15w - 12w - 180 = 0.
w^2 + 3w - 180 = 0.
Then, you can either split the middle form (take 2) or you can do the other thing (don't know how to explain it... but you know what I mean by take 1, right?)
If you need any more help, tell me. :-)
- Algebra 1 - Meloney, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 6:10pm
my equation is splitting the middle term emmalene. sigh.
- Algebra 1 - RickP, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 6:14pm
w^2 + 15w - 12w - 180 = 0
pull out the GCF of each pair.
w(w + 15) - 12(w + 15) = 0
then pull out the common factor (w + 15) from eatch term.
(w + 15)(w - 12) = 0
see if you can take it from there.
- Algebra 1 - Meloney, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 6:17pm
thanks so much!!!
Answer this Question
- Algebra 1 - I also have been having some trouble with this problem. How do I set...
- algebra - Jason is designing a rectangular garden that has area of 300 square ...
- Trig - Please EXPLAIN the steps on how to solve these problems. Please provide ...
- MATH: Pre-Cal/Trig - The length of a rectangular flower garden is 6 more feet ...
- algebra - The length of a rectangular garden is 5 ft less than 3 times its width...
- Algebra - The perimeter of a rectangular garden is 35 feet. The length of the ...
- geometry - a rectangular-shaped garden has a length of 40 feet and a width of ...
- Math - the length of a rectangular garden exceeds its width by 8 feet. if each ...
- 8th grade algebra - the length of a rectangular garden is 5 feet longer than its...
- Algebra - We are studying quadratic functions. Suppose you have 80 feet of fence...