Posted by Meloney on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 5:29pm.
I also have been having some trouble with this problem. How do I set it up?
A rectangular garden is designed so that its length is twice its width. The number of feet in the perimeter of the garden is equal to the number of square feet in its area. What are the dimensions of the garden?
Algebra 1 - Reiny, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 5:41pm
make a sketch and label the width x, then the length must be 2x
the perimeter would be 2(x+2x) = 6x
and the area would be x(2x) = 2x^2
<<The number of feet in the perimeter of the garden is equal to the number of square feet in its area>>
6x = 2x^2
2x^2 - 6x=0
so x=0, not very likely or
x = 3
so the width is 3 and the length is 6
check: perimeter = 2(3+6) = 18
area = (36) = 18
Algebra 1 - Meloney, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 5:43pm
thank you so much!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Honors Geometry - You work for a fencing company. A customer called, wanting to ...
- Algebra - The perimeter of a rectangular garden is 35 feet. The length of the ...
- algebra - The length of a rectangular garden is 5 ft less than 3 times its width...
- Math - The perimeter of a small rectangular garden is 18 feet. if the length is ...
- Pre Algebra - What are the length and width of a rectangular dog pen with a ...
- Algebra 2 - Sam recently has a Square garden. He wants to redesign his garden ...
- Math - the perimeter of a rectangular garder is 100 feet the length of the ...
- Unknow - A man has a rectangular garden. One length of the garden lies along a ...
- algebra - the perimeter of a rectangular garden is 132 meters.The length is ...
- Math - A homeowner designs a rectangular garden such that the length is 20 feet ...