Posted by Math on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 7:36pm.
I need help with these three problems. I cant figure them out.
3. The difference of two numbers is tripled. The result is decreased by 1. If the lesser of the two numbers is 4 the result is 8.3. Find the greater number.
4. A number increased by 21 is ewuivalent to half the number increased by 18.5. find the number.
11. Kerry comutes 60 mi per day. If she drives 30 mi/h during the morning rush and returns over the same route at 50 mi/h how much time does she typically spend commuting each day.
Please help me and thank you very much!
- Math - Riley, Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 9:23pm
First set up problems to solve each one assiging variables to each unknown. Remember, you need the same number of problems as you have variables.
- Math - RickP, Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 10:57pm
Convert the words into one or more mathematical equations. I'll get you going on the first one.
"The difference of two numbers ..."
x - y
"... is tripled."
(x - y) * 3
3(x - y)
"The result is decreased by 1."
3(x - y) - 1
"If the lesser of the two numbers is 4 ..."
y = 4, so we have
3(x - 4) - 1
"the result is 8.3."
3(x - 4) - 1 = 8.3
"Find the greater number. "
solve the above for x.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - I have no clue how to figure this out! Can you tell me how to figure it ...
- Algebra - The sum of two numbers is 6. The result when the greater number is ...
- Int Algebra - The difference of two numbers is 7. The sum of the numbers is -1. ...
- Math - Suppose you have two numbers. The difference of the two numbers is 12. ...
- math - the difference of two numbers is 5. their product is 176. what are the ...
- matj - The difference of two numbers is 12. Two fifths of the greater number is ...
- math - The difference of two numbers is 9. The sum of 3 times the greater number...
- algebra 1 - The difference of two numbers is 5. Three times the larger, ...
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! Answer Check and HW Help! - Translate to a system of ...
- math... sorry.. 1 more question - sorry but i have 1 more question... the sum of...