Posted by Math on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 7:36pm.
I need help with these three problems. I cant figure them out.
3. The difference of two numbers is tripled. The result is decreased by 1. If the lesser of the two numbers is 4 the result is 8.3. Find the greater number.
4. A number increased by 21 is ewuivalent to half the number increased by 18.5. find the number.
11. Kerry comutes 60 mi per day. If she drives 30 mi/h during the morning rush and returns over the same route at 50 mi/h how much time does she typically spend commuting each day.
Please help me and thank you very much!
- Math - Riley, Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 9:23pm
First set up problems to solve each one assiging variables to each unknown. Remember, you need the same number of problems as you have variables.
- Math - RickP, Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 10:57pm
Convert the words into one or more mathematical equations. I'll get you going on the first one.
"The difference of two numbers ..."
x - y
"... is tripled."
(x - y) * 3
3(x - y)
"The result is decreased by 1."
3(x - y) - 1
"If the lesser of the two numbers is 4 ..."
y = 4, so we have
3(x - 4) - 1
"the result is 8.3."
3(x - 4) - 1 = 8.3
"Find the greater number. "
solve the above for x.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - The sum of two numbers is 6. The result when the greater number is ...
- math - I have no clue how to figure this out! Can you tell me how to figure it ...
- Int Algebra - The difference of two numbers is 7. The sum of the numbers is -1. ...
- Algebra 1- Please Help !!!!!!!!:D - When two numbers are added together, the ...
- math... sorry.. 1 more question - sorry but i have 1 more question... the sum of...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...
- Algebra 1 Honors - When two numbers are added together, the result is 45. Twice ...
- algebra - The sum of two numbers is 19.Five times the lesser number is four more...
- Math - Suppose you have two numbers. The difference of the two numbers is 12. ...
- mathematics-Algebra - I think of two whole numbers;the product of the average of...