Posted by gaberriel on Monday, May 4, 2009 at 3:58pm.
Consecutive integers are integers that follow each other in order (for example 5, 6, and 7). The sum of three consecutive integers is 417.Let n be the first one. Write an equation that will determine the three integers.
- math - Reiny, Monday, May 4, 2009 at 5:55pm
let the middle number be n
let the smallest be n-1
let the largerst be n+1
(n-1)+(n)+(n+1) = 417
3n = 417
n = 139
the numbers are 138, 139 and 140
let the smallest be x
the middle one be x+1
and the largest x+2
then x + x+1 + x+2 = 417
3x + 3 = 417
3x = 414
x = 138
notice now we found the first number, since we defined it that way, the other two are 139 and 140
Does the first method look easier?
- math - gaberriel, Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 2:43pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - i dont get this question consecutive integers are integers that differ by...
- Math - The sum of three consecutive integers is 417. Let n be the first one. ...
- math - i dont get this question consecutive integers are integers that differ ...
- quad. eq. - find 3 consecutive integers such that the product of the second and ...
- Math - When you solve questions like "The sum of 3 consecutive integers is 147. ...
- math - A. Four times one odd integer is 14 less than three times the next even ...
- math - there are three consecutive positive integers such that the sum of the ...
- math - consecutive even integers can be represented by x,x+2,x+4 and so on. ...
- math - 1. The largest of five consecutive integers is twice the smallest. Find ...
- Math - The sum of four consecutive even integers is the same as the least of the...