Posted by cary on Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 7:56am.
Any ideas on grouping students? It has to be an activity.The only thing I have found is this:
Recycle greetings cards/magazine pictures. Rip or cut old greetings card into the required number of group members, shuffle and distribute amongst the pupils, for example five cards cut into sixth pieces will create five groups with six pupils in each group. The same activity can be used with posters/photographs for famous people/teams/bands etc
But it has to be an activity!!!! I really don't have any ideas.
1.activity needs to activate student's listening skills
2.activity reading skills
3.activity speaking skills??
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 7:59am
Clearly you didn't read Sra's addition to this long thread yesterday.
- English - cary, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 8:04am
Yes these are all wonderful ideas and thank you :)but my teacher told me that these groupings should not and must not be short! So I am not allowd to say everyone with black T shirts is one group and so on..This is supposed to be an activity which has to last for 5 minutes.So, grouping needs to last for 5 minutes!And that is a long time.That is wha I have problems now.i have many ideas on how to put students in groups but they all last 1-2 minutes.So that is why i thought that someone maybe has a "longer" idea.Well I'll look more on the internet
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 8:26am
I never used grouping techniques that lasted over 1 or at most 2 minutes. The point was not forming the groups; the point was to form groups quickly and get on with the assignment.
Maybe others have different ideas.
- English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 9:54am
OK. Here is an idea I used the very first day of class. First of all, I was wearing a 3 x 5 card with MY information. Each student gets a 3 x 5 card. You could have them write any 5 things on that card --- one in the middle and one in each of the 4 corners.
For example: the name in the middle. A favorite book in one corner, a favorite movie, favorite person, favorite "hobby" or activity.
Then the students circulate, learning names and the information in the 4 corners. They need to group according to ONE of those things on the card. If YOU pick that one thing, there will be less chaos!
Sorry, but on your first post, I thought you said "quick" activity!
- English - cary, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 10:09am
Thank you, that is it!:) That is an activity I need.Now I'll try to come up with 2 more.
- English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 10:41am
Lots of ideas right here:
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Let's play the game. Make groups of eight. You should choose a leader ...
- English1A - I'm doing a research project and chose "Greetings and Gestures" for...
- Math Important! - Ozzie's Mother bought an assortment of greeting cards while ...
- English1A - I'm still having a bit of trouble with my introduction and thesis. ...
- Seasons Greetings from Dr Russ - Seasons Greetings to all the questionners and ...
- math logic - A group of five students needs to break into two smaller groups in ...
- finance - You have credit card debt of $25,000 that has an APR (monthly ...
- English - It's time to do the group activity. I'll let you know how to do the ...
- English - Procedure : Group Activity Looking at the picture on the left, let's ...
- English - Hello everybody! I have posted a question yesterday on creative ...