Posted by *Sara* on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 8:23pm.
What is a disadvantage of using pH indicators?
- chemistry - Joyce, Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 9:06pm
A solution of Acetic acid has a light red color in the presense of the indicator orange IV. When sodium acetate is added to the solution, the color changes to yellow. Explain the reaction which causes the color change.
I have no idea. Does it have to do with the sodium added? I don't understand. Help please!
- chemistry - *Sara*, Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 9:07pm
I don't know
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 11:26pm
Disadvantage of using pH indicators for what? For titrations it is that not all indicators change at the equivalence point pH. If for determining the pH of a solution, it is because most pH indicators have a pH range of about 2 pH units which isn't very close if you want to know the pH closer than 2 pH units.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 11:30pm
Joyce, you should have posted your question separately. There is a good chance it will get overlooked by piggy backing on another question.
The answer is that acetic acid/sodium acetate mixtures form a buffered solution. The addition of the acetate changes the pH enough that the indicator changes.
You can calculate the change in pH if you have enough information to plug into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation which is pH = pKa + log(base/acid).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - state four differences between acid-base indicators and universal ...
- Chemistry - what other acid indicators are there other than phenolphthalein? Are...
- chemistry - How will you check acidity and basicity of various food stuffs at ...
- Statistics - What disadvantage(s) are there of the mean deviation? A. based on ...
- Science - What is the major disadvantage of using fossil fuels?
- Chem - what is an advantage and a disadvantage of using an oil shale?
- ghemistry - which indicator is more reliable in the titration of H3PO4 with NaOH...
- Chemistry - How do we use 2 indicators to confirm the pH of a solution?
- CHEMISTRY - How do the indicators work , by changing color ?
- chemistry - what are indicators of strong intermolecular forces?