Posted by John on Saturday, April 25, 2009 at 5:00am.
1. Fold the paper along the dotted line to make a triangle.(Right?)
2. It will heat the floor.
It will warm the floor.
(Are both OK?)
3. Don't throw stones at the dogs.
Don't throw stones to the dogs.
(Are both prepositions OK? What is the difference?)
4. The scarf has many colors. In other words, it is colorful.
4-1. The scarf has many colors. That is, it is colorful.
4-2. The scarf has many colors. So to speak, it is colorful.
4-3. The scarf has many colors. That is to say, it is colorful.
4-4. The scarf has many colors. Namely, it is colorful.
4-5. The scarf has many colors. To wit, it is colorful.
4-6. The scarf has many colors. Or, it is colorful.
(Are all the expressions the same and correct? Which ones are commonly used?)
5. Where is your answer sheet?
5-1. Where is your answer paper?
5-2. Where is your answer piece?
(Are the expressions all correct and the same? Situation:When a student take a test in a classroom)
6. Is a numeral a quantifier?
Does a quantifier include a numeral?
Are the following all quantifiers:smome, any, no, all, every, two, there, first, second.
(Please answer the questions.)
English - Writeacher, Saturday, April 25, 2009 at 8:49am
2. Both are OK, yes.
3. Use the preposition "at" if you mean you're trying to make the dogs go away. Use the preposition "to" if you want the dogs to play and bring them back to you!
4 and 4-1 are the best. The others are OK, but not commonly used.
5 is correct; the others are not commonly used.
6. Numerals are generally not used as quantifiers, but the first two sentences in 6 are phrased correctly. The third question is phrased correctly, but 1) put a space after the colon, correct the spelling of "some," and put a question mark at the end.
Here's a really good page (with a couple of quizzes at the bottom) explaining about quantifiers:
English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, April 25, 2009 at 10:09am
In 4-5, since "To wit" is a synonym for "Namely" I don't believe you will hear that much.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A firefighter is on the fifth floor of an office building. She needs to ...
- Physics - Along the remote Racetrack Playa in Death valley, California, stones ...
- Algebra II - A store sells rings with birthstones selected from the 12 different...
- algebra 2 - A store sells rings with birthstones selected from the 12 different ...
- Math - A pet shop has a total of 17 dogs and birds. Altogether there are 48 feet...
- physics - A 15.0 kg stone and a 150 kg stone are released from rest at the same ...
- physics - A 5.00kg stone and a 50.0kg stone are released from rest at the same ...
- English - 1. Look at the abandoned dogs. 2. Look at the deserted dogs. (Which ...
- English - Choose the sentence in which the comma helps make the meaning clear. (...
- physics - The free throw line in basketball is 4.57 m (15 ft) from the basket, ...